Author Topic: Handling non existing urls  (Read 111 times)

happy

• Prime Member
Handling non existing urls
« on: September 30, 2018, 05:44:13 AM »
Hi
Recently I removed several urls (around 2500) from my site and all these urls are shown in google search

Issue is when this non existing url is clicked in google search it takes to info.php with message

"Members not found"

I have this code on my .htaccess file

ErrorDocument 404 /errorpage.html (This page is also there)

but instead of taking non existing url to errorpage.html, it takes to info.php

Please guide

Thank you

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
Re: Handling non existing urls
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 11:21:33 PM »
"Members not found"

This message is a site search message, the URL links are most likely being added to google's search by google using your site's search and the URL links are being treated as site search queries, thus if you remove the profile URL then it produces a site search message of "Members not found" rather than a ErrorDocument 404 which is a redirect for a missing file or document in the site's directory and is usually handled by your server Apache config.

I'm not sure if there's safe method to make it so that these types of URL's get redirected as ErrorDocument 404 files instead of "Members not found" search queries. This one of the downsides of allowing Google access to search for members.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

happy

• Prime Member
Re: Handling non existing urls
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 11:27:16 PM »
Thank You, Maverick