Author Topic: My (Partial) Results - New Etano Install - June 10, 2018  (Read 150 times)

TraderJoe

• Prime Member
My (Partial) Results - New Etano Install - June 10, 2018
« on: June 10, 2018, 12:34:20 AM »
So I have two shared hosting accounts, one with InMotion and the other with FastComet.  Both install Etano via "Softaculous."  So far, here are my results:

1. InMotion:

Got both example.com and the admin page to load, but does not send out any email, especially the confirmation email for my new user test account.  When I first joined with my test user, I got the error message about how it could not "instantiate" the php mail function, so I searched the forum on that.  The best way is to just search on the word "instantiate."  It seemed like the guy in this thread might have found an answer:  http://forum.datemill.com/index.php?topic=4783.msg21702#msg21702.  But all he says at the end is "I created a new full PHP.ini through their PHP config options in their CPanel.  Now the emails send as intended."  Unfortunately he does not say exactly what should be in the PHP.ini file.  This is what is in the PHP.ini file for both sites on both hosts:

[PHP]
safe_mode = Off
register_globals = Off
magic_quotes_gpc = Off
magic_quotes_runtime = Off

[Session]
session.use_cookies = 1
session.use_trans_sid = 0

That is only for PHP.ini in the example.com Etano site directory itself; if he is talking about some other master PHP.ini for the whole hosting account then I don't know what he's talking about or where that would even be.

So for now it is game over for Etano on shared InMotion for me.  Unless there is documentation (I'll search later) that says more should be in PHP.ini somewhere.

2. FastComet:

It looked as if it was going to fully work.  This time, the new user test account's confirmation email arrived and worked.  Sounds great, right?  But...

That is the only email that arrives or apparently even gets sent.  There are no email alerts to the Admin for a new member joining, and there is no email alert for new messages, which are also supposed to occur (and yes it's set for that).  But that's not nearly as concerning as what else is (not) happening...

Even more concerning is that despite having three test user accounts, member search does not work at all.  Zero, zilch, nada.  No matter how broad the search is, there are no results.  That includes the "latest members" search, and the "who's online" search when you have more than one logged in using different browsers.  That also includes when you specifically type in either the first 4 characters of the username or the whole username itself - no search results at all, ever.  Including, it seems, well after 5 minutes if the chron job(s) has anything to do with it.

Also, by the way, why are you not allowed to join with a user name that begins with a capital letter?  For instance, if you try to join as "David" it says:

www.example.com says

Please only use letters, numerals, dashes and underscores for your username. Dashes and underscores can not be added at the start or end of your username. Length of username must be 4-20 characters.

But if you change it to "david" then you can join.  Is that really by design?  I can't imagine anyone liking that at all, and I certainly would want to change that with some kind of code mod asap.  Moreover, it would only confuse people into thinking they can't even join as "david" if "David" is initially rejected.

Current summary:

Now that I've gotten a taste of Etano (partially) in action, however, I must say I really love the clean and simple uncluttered design.  So I would hate to not be able to make full normal use of it after all, especially after all these years since I first almost used it so long ago.  It's really so beautifully and elegantly simple before any mods and adjustments one may wish to make.  So this brings up questions like:

Would the hosts really be the problem, especially if some of the email is working with FastComet?  For instance, why would the confirmation email come with FastComet but not any other email?

Are my PHP.ini files ok as is, or do I need to change them, or find some master hosting account PHP.ini and change that?

If I were to go to all the trouble and expense of switching to VPS before I really want to be doing anything like that, would everything just work perfectly and normally with VPS?  (And there's no way I'm jumping to full Dedicated Server now before I'm ready, that's for sure.)

Yes indeed, love this clean and lean Etano, so any help with my journey and struggle to get off the ground appreciated.

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
Re: My (Partial) Results - New Etano Install - June 10, 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 03:35:34 AM »
Got both example.com and the admin page to load, but does not send out any email, especially the confirmation email for my new user test account.  When I first joined with my test user, I got the error message about how it could not "instantiate" the php mail function, so I searched the forum on that.  The best way is to just search on the word "instantiate."  It seemed like the guy in this thread might have found an answer:  http://forum.datemill.com/index.php?topic=4783.msg21702#msg21702.  But all he says at the end is "I created a new full PHP.ini through their PHP config options in their CPanel.  Now the emails send as intended."  Unfortunately he does not say exactly what should be in the PHP.ini file.
If your host supports PHPmail sendmail function you shouldn't have to edit anything. It should work as is with any server that properly supports PHPmail. When you get the error message about how it could not "instantiate" the php mail function, this is telling you that the PHPmail sendmail function isn't working or supported on your server and is something only your host can help you with.

Even more concerning is that despite having three test user accounts, member search does not work at all.  Zero, zilch, nada.  No matter how broad the search is, there are no results.  That includes the "latest members" search, and the "who's online" search when you have more than one logged in using different browsers.  That also includes when you specifically type in either the first 4 characters of the username or the whole username itself - no search results at all, ever.  Including, it seems, well after 5 minutes if the chron job(s) has anything to do with it.
These are symptoms  that you're crons might not be setup or functioning properly, find more info here:
http://forum.datemill.com/index.php?topic=3981.0

Would the hosts really be the problem, especially if some of the email is working with FastComet?  For instance, why would the confirmation email come with FastComet but not any other email?
Well confirmation emails don't get stored and sent via a cron job, whereas other email notifications do rely on cron jobs, so this is another indication that you're crons might not be setup or functioning properly.

If you suspect your cron jobs aren't working properly, the first thing to check is to make sure they are setup and configured properly by "carefully" reading and following the Online Documentation. Pay special attention about your host allowing crons to be run every 5 minutes, some hosting plans don't allow crons to run under 15 minutes, even though in cPanel they still allow you setup the cron jobs to run every 5 minutes.
http://www.datemill.com/etano/wiki/doku.php?id=setting_up_the_etano_cron_job_in_cpanel

Since FastComet sends out the confirmation email it appears they support the PHPmail sendmail function, but your cron jobs don't appear to be functioning properly.

Also, by the way, why are you not allowed to join with a user name that begins with a capital letter?
Here's a mod that will also allow caps during signup:
http://datemill.com/extras/allow_caps_signup.zip
Replace the files in the same directory folders on your server as provided in the mod.

This will allow users to signup using either upper or lowercase and will also allow them to login using either uppercase or lowercase, for example they can login using "David", "david", or even DaVid".

However, the database will only store the username in lowercase, and is the default behavior of most databases. Which means when they login their username will also be displayed on the site in lowercase and not in the upper and lower case format in which they may have signed up with.

Unlike passwords, usernames are stored in a database as a unique-identifier and are case-insensitive where upper and lower case are treated as being the same so that the username "david" remains unique to that user regardless how it's typed when logging in, whether it be in upper and/or lower case. Which would also be the case when searching for a user, if they type it in lower and/or upper case, the results will return a single user named "david".

From my understanding it's possible to store usernames so they are case-sensitive using the appropriate database collation, however it's not recommended as it poses various potential issues. When they login they will need to be sure the proper upper and lower case format is typed in or it will get rejected, and if someone is searching for a user named "David" but types in "david" then the user "David" won't appear in the results because the usernames "David" and "david" are stored as case-sensitive unique-identifiers.

By storing usernames in lowercase that are case-insensitive prevents usernames from being duplicated where if the username "David" is already assigned to an account, another user can't register with the name "david", this prevents confusion between users and the possibly of pretending to be someone else in order to deceive others.

Most people who join dating sites want to remain anonymous and don't want to use their real name in their username or in their profile. If for some reason you're running a site where you want people to reveal their real name, you can create a special profile textfield for this that will accept upper and lower case and display it in the same format. A basic textfield or textarea is not stored as a unique-identifier like usernames are.

I hope you can understand the info provided and the reasoning regarding usernames as it's bit complicated and hard to explain.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

TraderJoe

• Prime Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 09:02:51 PM »
Thanks Maverick.  I discovered my cron job needed editing because I only had "5" in there, but now after testing I'm starting to suspect it is not properly supported.  I'm still only getting the sign up confirmation email and am able to message members from the admin.  No other email and no member search capability as a user.

At this point I want to look into different hosting that properly and fully supports everything.

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 11:35:59 AM »
On a side note about usernames and how they are displayed.

The new mod I provided that allows caps during registration has been included and updated in the Etano 2.6 download.

As mentioned, regardless how they type in their username during the registration (upper or lower case) usernames are still stored in the database in all lowercase as a unique-identifier which are case-insensitive and may not display the usernames on the site in the case format in which they registered it.

However it's possible to some extent to modify how usernames are displayed on the site using CSS and text-transformation.

The CSS options are:
text-transform: none; (displays in the default manner in which the text is created or stored in the database)
text-transform: uppercase; (transforms and displays the text in all uppercase)
text-transform: lowercase; (transforms and displays the text in all lowercase)
text-transform: capitalize; (transforms the first character in a string of text to uppercase)

My Fusion responsive template utilizes the "text-transform: capitalize" for usernames throughout the site which you can see in the demo ...
http://www.maverickwebworks.com/fusion_landing.html

I've also created a mod for this for the default template:
http://datemill.com/extras/default_usernames_caps.zip
Replace the files in the same directory folders on your server as provided in the mod.

You can view the demo to see how the usernames will appear in the default template:
http://datemill.com/demo/

At this point I want to look into different hosting that properly and fully supports everything.
The FastComet host where the emails work but the crons don't, it could just be that it's still not configured properly.

This can sometimes be an issue when installing the script using an auto installer like Scriptalicious or Softaculous, they may be convenient but they often don't setup or configure the cron job properly. It's always best to manually install the Etano script.

I can't verify it, but info from the FastComet site suggests that the correct cron command should most likely be one of the following:

/usr/bin/php -f /home/your_user/public_html/tools/cron/cron.php

/usr/bin/php /home/your_user/public_html/tools/cron/cron.php

If you still have a problem I'd suggest contacting your host and have them check it for you to see if the command line is correct, and if they actually allow crons to run every 5 minutes.

Cron Job issues are by far the most common problem users have, and often the cause of certain site features not functioning properly, and is most often contributed to cron jobs not being setup or configured properly.

Important Note: Once you get the cron jobs working properly, it won't show members that were created while the crons weren't functioning, the only way they will be released and updated on the site is by 'regenerating' your skin under the 'Skin Settings' in your Etano admin.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.