Author Topic: Images  (Read 344 times)

flyer5

• Prime Member
    • North East Nudists
Images
« on: May 09, 2018, 12:30:43 PM »
Has anyone implemented any method of allowing users to rotate images when uploaded yet?
Ta...

KHDev

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Etano Contributor (Skins & Mods)
Re: Images
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 08:28:01 AM »
Hey

Looking at adding this so will get back you.

:)

flyer5

• Prime Member
    • North East Nudists
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 10:33:46 PM »
 :D

champion!

KHDev

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 10:45:28 AM »
Do you require it for the admin side as well as the user side?

flyer5

• Prime Member
    • North East Nudists
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 01:14:07 PM »
That would be a bonus but at the moment im just desperate to get it on the user side, we reject incorrectly orientated images and the general populous dont understand exif info and why their pics are on the side!
Gav

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 06:23:21 PM »
This is primarily an Apple device issue, especially on iPhones since version 5. Most iPhone users are aware of this issue and there are apps available to correct it before uploading their photos to the web. Other mobile phones can also produce sideway photos, it's most often caused by the way they hold their phones when taking a photo, if they hold their phone vertically (portrait position) (which many do when taking a selfie) then the photo will often be sideways when uploaded or shared through an email and viewed on a Windows PC.

I've looked into this before and it appears that it's not easy to accomplish, wordpress developers spent several years trying to create a mod for this, what they finally created and released doesn't always work 100% of the time. Even Facebook has this function which many people complain is rather clunky to use.

What really needs to happen is the mobile phone companies like Apple need to address and fix this issue, especially considering what they charge people for an iPhone, and knowing full well most people love taking photos with their phones and share them on the web. Apple is aware of this issue and refuses to do anything about it, and have even tried passing the buck and blaming websites for the issue.

Changing the orientation will need to be accomplished during the upload process before actually saving the photo, once it's been saved it's going to be difficult (if not impossible) to change once saved and added to the user's photo gallery. If for some reason  the change doesn't work the first time or the user wants to change the orientation again, the only option will be to delete it and upload it again, even Facebook functions this way.

Maybe KHDev can come up with a viable solution, which hopefully won't be too hard on server resources as most Etano users tend to go with cheap low-level hosting plans.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

KHDev

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 10:40:41 AM »
Will have something Sunday :) just need to re-test on a fresh install of 2.6 as I created the solution on a dev version.

KHDev

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 07:06:33 PM »

Update

I did manage to create a option to rotate images which has been tried and tested by myself and flyer5 however i never posted it publicly.

So, in case anyone else is interested in having a rotate option i will post the modification in the Code Contributions section of the forum sometime this week.

KHDev.