Author Topic: Another dropdown menu question  (Read 350 times)

cupid

• Confirmed Member
Another dropdown menu question
« on: February 02, 2018, 01:19:11 PM »
How do I create a profile field where registrants can select (from a drop down menu) a month, a day and a year? so that if I wanted to search for all the people in January 5 1998 I could. This is not a birth date but another significant date in a persons life.

I read through the documentation, I tried using/duplicating the birthdate field but the end result is just years. I would like to edit the results display to say something like I have been "smoke free since MONTH, DAY, YEAR

Thank you.

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
Re: Another dropdown menu question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 04:13:08 PM »
Unfortunately what you're wanting to do would be very difficult to accomplish and would require developing a custom feature for it which you'd need to hire a programmer, and because of the complexity it would likely be very expensive.

Also to be able to search for people for an exact date would be even harder to create because the dropdown list to select a particular date would be crazy long. The alternative would be to have it programmed where they enter or select a particular date. But doing this has potential issues, unless you have millions of members where every possible date they entered would produce some results, they would instead be entering dates until the cows come home just to try and get some results and find someone.

Does it really need to be so date specific? Will everyone actually remember the exact date of a significant time in their life? I know I rarely can. Couldn't it be kept more general? such as having a list something more like:

1 month
2 months
3 months
4 months
5 months
6 months
7 months
8 months
9 months
10 months
11 months
1 year
2 years
3 years
4 years
5 years
6 years
7 years
8 years
9 years
10 years
more than 10 years

At least this would be doable and more manageable, and it would have more potential for producing some results and actually finding other members that are generally close to being within the same time frame.

I understand and can appreciate what you're wanting to do, but you need to give it more thought as far as the potential issues and pitfalls of creating something that functions as complex as you've suggested. It's always best to try and keep things as simple as possible so it's easy and user friendly for your members to use, and easy for you to manage and implement as well.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.