Author Topic: Could not instantiate mail function.  (Read 54 times)

chuck

• Confirmed Member
Could not instantiate mail function.
« on: March 09, 2017, 04:01:43 PM »
Upon creating a new member, I get the error message: Could not instantiate mail function.

Any recommendations?

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
Re: Could not instantiate mail function.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 04:21:33 PM »
This is a default message included in the script's phpmailer. Basically what it means is that the confirmation email can't be sent.

I get this same message on my local wamp development server, but my wamp server does't have the mail function and isn't capable of sending out mail. However when installed on my host server I don't get this message, therefore you're most likely either using a localhost server on your PC or your host sever's mail function may not be functioning properly.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

chuck

• Confirmed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 10:28:47 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

It is installed on a hosting company's server, not my local. Same server fires off Wordpress plugin / widget emails e.g. contact forms, security alerts, etc. Since I am not familiar with phpmailer I do not know if the WP emails are a legit comparison but it's all I got.

I can always check with hosting company but I'd like to learn to fix it if possible.

chuck

• Confirmed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 10:48:31 AM »
One more thing I should've mentioned.

Etano is installed on a non-production cpanel. This means the current url is IP address/~user.  The current website live is loading from a different server, using the URL the app will ultimately be on.
Etano will be added to the live site once all edits are complete and ready. I say all this to say that using the domain email (xxxxx@mysite.com) is not possible on the dev server.

If I wait to set up the domain email in the settings upon taking live on the proper url, then the phpmailer should function? (assuming the hosting provider supports php mail)

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 03:04:31 PM »
Well it can't send emails because there's no domain configured to your site, and in order to send emails there needs to be an email address setup and attached to the domain. Emails must be sent "from" an email address.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.