Author Topic: Approving main profile photo  (Read 197 times)

Tooken

• Prime Member
Approving main profile photo
« on: February 11, 2017, 04:59:24 AM »
Hello :)

Is it possible for an admin to always approve when a user changes a picture as new main profile photo?

Thank you,
David

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
Re: Approving main profile photo
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 09:33:10 AM »
There is no such feature and I don't know of any easy way that it could be implemented. It's only capable of approving new photos that a user uploads to their photo album. Once photos have been approved the user can then decide (and switch) which photo in their album they want to use as their main photo, or which photos they want to be private or public.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

Tooken

• Prime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 05:45:36 PM »
Hello Maverick,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. That could definitely be a nice mod to add to avoid having some unpleasant main profile pictures that can be ok to keep in private or as secondary photos but not as a main one.

Thanks
David

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 10:30:10 PM »
Well it might be an okay addon mod for a few users, but it would require a lot of work and isn't something I'm very keen on or interested in investing a lot of time into creating.

The main reason why I'm not very interested in creating such a mod is because I feel it takes away a member's freedom of expression and would make your site come across as being a bit too strict and authoritarian. You're already approving any photos they upload which is fine so no photos hit the site that are total rubbish or could potentially offend others, but once you've approved them you're basically saying they are okay to use on the site and the members should then be allowed the freedom to decide which approved photos they can use as their main photo, or set as public or private, etc.

If they decide to change their main photo with another of their approved photos and it kept getting rejected they will soon become annoyed. Remember that your members are your customers and it's important to try and make their experience using your site enjoyable.

I know you'll probably have a difference of opinion and have some reasons why it may be beneficial, which is fine. I'm just stating the reason I have no interest in investing my time in such a mod. My time is very limited and I have to try and choose mods and enhancements that I feel will be best for the project and would be most likely useful and beneficial to most, not just a few.

DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

pourkoipas78

• Prime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 08:17:58 AM »
I do not agree with you, Maverick, it is absolutely necessary to separate profile photos and gallery photos ...

I was already talking about it here :
http://forum.datemill.com/index.php?topic=4431.msg20725

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 01:47:35 PM »

I do not agree with you, Maverick, it is absolutely necessary to separate profile photos and gallery photos ...

I don't expect you or anyone else to agree with me, and like I said previously .... "you'll probably have a difference of opinion and have some reasons why it may be beneficial, which is fine."

You and a few others may consider this to be an important or necessary feature, and if it's that important you can try hiring a programmer or wait see if someone will eventually come along and create an addon mod. It just won't be me for the reasons I've mentioned, it's going to require more work than you might think.

There's no shortage of people requesting custom mods and features that they would like to have or feel is important to them, but unfortunately I can't appease everyone's wants and desires, I wish I could but it's just not possible. I try to help as much as I can but there are limits as to what I'm capable of doing, or willing to do.

Please remember this is a FREE open source project which relies on others to also try and contribute and help out in whatever manner they can, whether it be in development or trying to help others in the forums. However, there's very few willing to do so with any regularity, which means for the most part the project is reliant on myself and KHDev to do most everything. And since we can't work full time on the project we have to carefully manage our time by picking and choosing what we can realistically take on and devote time to.