Author Topic: cronjob works but not with site installed  (Read 1337 times)

zonline

• Confirmed Member
cronjob works but not with site installed
« on: August 25, 2015, 04:51:50 PM »
When my site was not installed yet, the cronjob sent me emails every 5 minutes about the url to install the site. Cronjob was working. When the site was installed, it stopped sending emails. I made a user with photo and it didnt show up in search or on the frontpage. This indicates that cron probably works but doesn't do it's job right. I wonder what is going on, and if someone can help me with this. Thanks!

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
Re: cronjob works but not with site installed
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 06:23:20 PM »
When you install Etano your cron jobs aren't automatically setup for you, you must manually setup your cron jobs on your server specifically for Etano after the installation is complete.

Be sure to carefully read and follow the Online Documentation on how to setup and configure cron jobs for Etano.
http://www.datemill.com/etano/wiki/doku.php?id=setting_up_the_etano_cron_job_in_cpanel

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

zonline

• Confirmed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 03:35:58 AM »
Thank you for your reply.

I know the cronjob isn't automatically setup. The situation was that I reinstalled Etano and kept the cronjob running. This way I saw the cronjob was working on the server. But ok, I setup the cronjob again now that Etano is installed. I regenerate all skins but my user is still not searchable. Its on the frontpage now but searching the profile doesn't work.

3 questions:

A little more information about my situation: My site is parked in a temporary place, not on the internet. This is because I moved my domain to another host, I have to wait 60 days before my domain gets public again. In the mainwhile I can test my site using hosts.conf to point to the temporary place. Maybe this situation is not suitable for the cronjob to work?

Also my host doesn't have PHP installed as Apache module, but as CGI-plugin. Is this causing search not to work?

Also the permissions on files and folders are set to 0644 for files and 0755 for folders, with the exception of folders needed to be set on 777 by the Etano installer. Are these the right permissions?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 06:21:32 AM »
It's obvious that your cron jobs aren't working, and probably won't work the way you have your site presently setup.

When developing I run and test Etano all the time on my computer using a local WAMP server, I don't even have cron jobs setup, I just have to keep regenerating whenever I add new members or blogs, etc., and after regenerating members show up in searches.

When searching make sure you don't have anything pre-selected that might not apply to that member. Try using the basic search without any selections, or try using the search by username field.

If that doesn't work then something is likely wrong with your site or setup besides cron jobs, try looking for clues in the error logs in your Etano Admin.

Etano is capable of running with PHP as a CGI-plugin if your host has it configured properly.

DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

zonline

• Confirmed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 07:18:59 AM »
Thanks for your answer!

Yes the cron job doesn't work. Search works when I regenerate the default skin. So, there is nothing wrong ofcourse with the script, just the cron job doesnt work now. I hope in my future setup, when my site is public, the cron job will work.

For now, thanks for your time to answer my questions.

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 07:40:27 AM »

Corn Jobs should work fine as long as you set it up properly as per the instructions, and if your host allows cron jobs to run under 15 minutes. Many hosts aren't up-front as to how frequently you can run cron jobs so you may need to do some digging in their features or terms or forums, or ask them directly. Often shared hosting plans will still allow you to make cron settings of 5 minutes in cPanel, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to actually work, unless they allow crons to run that frequently.

zonline

• Confirmed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 12:19:46 PM »
They do allow a 5 minute cronjob, I asked them directly.
This is my cronjob:

*/5
/usr/bin/php -f /home/freedatingplace/public_html/tools/cron/cron.php

I think there is nothing wrong with it. The path is good, Etano installer gave me exactly this line to copy to cronjob and cPanel approved it. Probably the setup of my site isn't ok, the future will see when my domain is moved and I can really test Etano. My host didn't mention any boundaries of the temporary place in which my site runs now. For them it's a mystery aswell why the cronjob doesn't work on my site.

Marble

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 05:09:16 PM »

Corn Jobs should work fine as long as you set it up properly as per the instructions

Corn Jobs?  :D :P
If you see that I'm logged in forever... it just means I turned the page on my browser and forgot to logout.

zonline

• Confirmed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 12:14:10 PM »
I've solved it:

the right path was /usr/local/bin/php

My cronjob works now :P