Author Topic: latest blogs widget and latest-blogs.xml file not updating  (Read 922 times)

Marble

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
latest blogs widget and latest-blogs.xml file not updating
« on: August 25, 2015, 01:36:34 PM »
a month ago, my latest-blogs.xml file was updating. For some reason it's no longer updating with the latest blog postings. I have the latest blogs widget on my index page and first found that the latest blog didn't appear. I wrote a blog topic and it appears in the user's account under My Blogs, but it doesn't appear publicly under Blogs. I then checked the latest-blogs.xml file and it also didn't appear. I checked my cron job settings and everything is set up properly.

The blog posting appears when I force a cron update using: http://www.yourserver.com/tools/cron/gen_blogs_full.php
But the latest-blogs.xml file is not updated. This affects rss feeds.

There are no errors in the error logs.

any suggestions?
If you see that I'm logged in forever... it just means I turned the page on my browser and forgot to logout.

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
Re: latest blogs widget and latest-blogs.xml file not updating
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 07:09:53 PM »
The latest blog postings and the blog feeds are updated by 2 different cron jobs.

The tools/cron/jobs/10/1gen_blogs.php cron job is what updates the blog posts.
The tools/cron/jobs/10/gen_feeds.php cron job is what updates the blog feeds.
The tools/cron/gen_blogs_full.php file only updates the blogs and postings, it doesn't update blog feeds.

The problem with the blog feeds, if your cron jobs for whatever reason aren't working properly (or even crap out temporarily), it get's lost and won't get written to xml feed file. It's always been a bit of a problem from day one without any real solution, and why I never used blog feeds on the site, they just aren't reliable enough and can't be updated or regenerated if something goes wrong with the cron jobs.

You rarely have this type of problem with news feeds because they're instantly written to the xml file in real time, and don't rely on cron jobs. Unfortunately you can't have blog feeds written to the xml files in real time because on a busy site there's the potential of writing a lot of blog posts and comments, which would have an impact server resources.

My best guess is that your cron jobs possibly crapped out for whatever reason which means blog feeds won't get generated.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

Marble

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 08:16:04 PM »
OK, then maybe I'll just reinstall a fresh copy of the cron directory in case if it somehow became corrupt.
If you see that I'm logged in forever... it just means I turned the page on my browser and forgot to logout.

Marble

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 08:44:29 PM »
replacing the directory fixed the problem. I guess when I was messing around with the paid_members issue in the admin control panel stats, something became corrupted along the way. The corruption also caused new members from showing up in the newest members widget.