Author Topic: Excellent Chatroom for your site  (Read 3616 times)

flyer5

• North East Nudists
Excellent Chatroom for your site
« on: March 07, 2015, 07:05:59 AM »
This contribution explains how to add a full featured chatroom to your site. Before you dive in and have a go, you should be aware of the following:
There are two versions of this chatroom (its called Blab7) - one is free and one is paid for.
I first installed the free version and it worked absolutely fine, but users had to sign in to use it and could sign in with any name they wanted.
I decided this was not a good option for my site and spoke to the developer of blab7, he helped me integrate the paid version which was 35 euro. I would not normally go to the trouble of making a post in the contribution section for a paid for piece of software, but after trying a few chatrooms this proved to be excellent, my users love it and now congregate on the site to chat.
Now users just click the chatroom link and are signed in with thier etano username.
See the screenshots and if you like what you see read on!. (the free version is almost the same, but does not have sign on integration - which the developer provides free!)

This guide is for the PAID FOR version. The free version integrates the same but you need to change the names from blab7plus to blab7
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Screenshots: (these are big sizes to include the detail.)

As you can see it runs inside the content box, has loads of options - and also has a very comprehensive admin panel.

Here is how to integrate it (the same steps for the free version except where I indicate)
Remember - Backup the files you change!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apparantly, I missed an important step out so before you install the Chat Software you need to do this:
Go to access levels in Admin and add the access level 'blab' to whichever subscription you want. (I had assumed if you are running an Etano Dating Site you would have took the trouble to read the guide that (I believe ) Maverick wrote about Access levels and how to use them)
So - if you only want your paying customers to access the chat add 'blab' to 'paid members'

Now you can install the software!

1. Open /login.php and 'save as' blab.php

In blab.php around line 15 find
Code: [Select]
require _BASEPATH_.'/includes/user_functions.inc.php';

add after:
check_login_member('auth');
check_login_member('blab');

find:
$tpl->set_file('content','login.html');Change to:
$tpl->set_file('content','blab.html');
find and delete:
$tplvars['title']=$GLOBALS['_lang'][236];
$tplvars['page_title']=$GLOBALS['_lang'][237];

find:
$tplvars['page']='login';
$tplvars['css']='login.css';
Change to:
$tplvars['page']='blab';
$tplvars['css']='blab.css';

SAVE AND UPLOAD FILE.

2. Open a new blank html file and save it as /skins_site/def/blab.html

In /skins_site/def/blab.html
add:
<!-- Run blab7 in an iframe. with height 500 it should fit nicely in an xxx x 800 screen -->
<iframe id="blab" name="Blab" frameborder="0" src="../blab7plus/index.php" height="500" width="960" scrolling = "No">The browser doesn't support iframe.</iframe>
<br />
<script type="text/javascript" src="{tplvars.relative_url}js/bbcode.js?v={tplvars.js_lib_v}"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="{tplvars.relative_url}js/join.js?v={tplvars.js_lib_v}"></script>

SAVE FILE AND UPLOAD:

3. open a new css file and save it as /skins_site/styles/blab.css
In /skins_site/def/styles/blab.css
add:
#content_column1 {
 float: none;
 width:1015px;

SAVE FILE AND UPLOAD:

3. Open /skins_site/def/styles/content.css

find:
div.large {
width: 742px;
background: url('../images/lbox-middle.gif') repeat-y;
}
div.large h1, div.large h2 {
background: url('../images/lbox-top.gif') no-repeat top left;
}
div.large .box_content {
background: url('../images/lbox-bottom.gif') no-repeat bottom left;
}

Insert above it
/* Div for chat */
div.blab {
width: 1015px;
background: url('../images/blab-middle.gif') repeat-y;
}
div.blab h2 {
background-image: url('../images/blab-top.gif');
font-size: 14px;
color: #3969A5;
}
div.blab .box_content {
background: url('../images/blab-bottom.gif') no-repeat bottom left;
}
/* end */

SAVE FILE AND UPLOAD:

Open skins_site/def/frame.html

find:
<ul>
    <li><a href="{tplvars.relative_url}home.php" title="Home">Home</a></li>
    <li><a href="{tplvars.relative_url}search_more.php" title="Search">Search</a></li>
    <li><a href="{tplvars.relative_url}photos.php" title="Member Photos">Photos</a></li>
    <li><a href="{tplvars.relative_url}blogs.php" title="Member Blogs">Blogs</a></li>
    <li><a href="{tplvars.relative_url}search.php?st=online" title="Online Members">Who's Online</a></li>

Insert after:
<li><a href="{tplvars.relative_url}blab.php" title="Chatroom">ChatRoom</a></li>
SAVE AND UPLOAD:

Open your favourite graphics editor.

Open the file skins_site/def/images/lbox-middle.gif
Change its size to 1015 pixels by 1 pixel and save it as blab-middle.gif

Open the file skins_site/def/images/lbox-top.gif
Change its size to 1015 pixels by 15 pixels and save it as blab-top.gif

Open the file skins_site/def/images/lbox-bottom.gif
Change its size to 1015 pixels by 15 pixels and save it as blab-bottom.gif

UPLOAD THOSE THREE FILES TO skins_site/def/images/

That completes the user files:
Now we add it to our admin panel.

4. Open admin/error_log.php
Save it as admin/blab7plus.php   

In admin/blab7plus.php               
Select everything in it and delete it

Add:
<?php
/******************************************************************************
Etano
===============================================================================
File:                       admin/blab.php
$Revision: 622 $
Software by:                DateMill (http://www.datemill.com)
Copyright by:               DateMill (http://www.datemill.com)
Support at:                 http://www.datemill.com/forum
* See the "docs/licenses/etano.txt" file for license.                         *
******************************************************************************/

require_once '../includes/common.inc.php';
require_once 
'../includes/admin_functions.inc.php';
allow_dept(DEPT_ADMIN);

$tpl=new phemplate('skin/','remove_nonjs');

$tpl->set_file('content','blab7plus.html');
$tpl->process('content','content');
$tplvars['title']='Chat Control Panel';
$tplvars['page']='blab7plus';
$tplvars['css']='blab7plus.css';
include 
'frame.php'

SAVE AND UPLOAD:

5. open a new html file and save it as /admin/skin/blab7plus.html

in /admin/skin/blab7plus.html
ADD:
<!-- <h2>Chatroom Manager</h2> --> <!-- if you want the title in the admin uncomment this -->

<!-- <div id="info_box">Chatroom Manager. </div> --> <!-- if you want to add explanatory text (like in the error log page) uncomment this -->

<iframe src="../../blab7plus/admin/index.php"  width="900" height="800"></iframe>
<script type="text/javascript" src="../js/thickbox.js?v={tplvars.js_lib_v}"></script>

SAVE AND UPLOAD:

6. Open a new css file and save it as /admin/skin/styles/blab7plus.css

SAVE AND UPLOAD  (it is an empty file)

That completes the admin part.

Now we need the chat software!
go to http://hot-things.net/

Download the version you want. If its the free version you can get it straight away. If its the Plus version you need to pay then receive an email.

Lets assume you now have the software.
Follow the instructions on hot-things.net to install it. Install it into your root of your web site, in its own folder, blab7 or blab7plus.

Once its installed if its the free version it should run straight out of the box.

If you went for the plus version you need to do a couple of things.
1. get a custom integration file off Konstantin who developed the blab software, you can do this by responding to the email you received. He is very helpful and the support/file etc is free.
2. Swap the file in /blab7plus/ext/custom.php for the one you have been sent from konstantin
3. Change the moderators part in blab admin, follow Konstantins instructions for that.
4. In the options in blab admin disable 'allow users to logout'

Thats it! it should all be working.

JohnHarperJr

• SocialGratis.com
Re: Excellent Chatroom for your site
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 12:46:17 PM »
Cool, Friechat also works wonderfully for etano and requires minimal setup.

Patrick007

• Confirmed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 10:23:51 PM »
All this chatrooms are so standard. We create a 1 on 1 chat into our site. When search on profiles you see on our site a icon and when you click you start a 1 on 1 chat with that members.

I think everybody has his own ideas about having a chat to his site.

JohnHarperJr

• SocialGratis.com
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 11:56:48 AM »
Pretty cool Patrick, I was able to do the same for freichat on my mobile verson of the site.

flyer5

• North East Nudists
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 02:11:44 PM »
Since I installed video chat on the site the normal text chat hardly gets used, everyone congregates in the video rooms and starts 1:1 video chats

Marble

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 03:54:49 PM »
Do the video chats effect your bandwidth?
If you see that I'm logged in forever... it just means I turned the page on my browser and forgot to logout.

flyer5

• North East Nudists
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 12:02:01 AM »
It hasn't been installed long enough to get an accurate picture but it looks like approximately 22-25% - this is based on a couple of weeks usage.

F5

Hornyflings

• Prime Member
    • AsiasHeart
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 12:17:17 PM »
Since I installed video chat on the site the normal text chat hardly gets used, everyone congregates in the video rooms and starts 1:1 video chats

Consider now to buy chat solution for my site. Which videochat do you use on your site?

What is your experience with videochat? Your members stay longer on your site since you offer it?

rexxx

• Confirmed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 01:15:18 PM »
Sorry but for some reason this script doesn't work I get chat room on the bar but when you click on it it just takes you to the pay screen. The member is paid I used a test person with full membership that I added in admin. But still says that you need to pay. I even bought the script from the chat guy. GUess I just lost my money on this one too. So far nothing works right at all with other parts of the script too. I went over the script for the chat you provide 5 times and even the custom.php not sure how this is going to work now.
Richard

KHDev

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Etano Contributor (Skins & Mods)
    • KH Web Development
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 05:01:14 AM »
Sorry but for some reason this script doesn't work I get chat room on the bar but when you click on it it just takes you to the pay screen. The member is paid I used a test person with full membership that I added in admin. But still says that you need to pay. I even bought the script from the chat guy. GUess I just lost my money on this one too. So far nothing works right at all with other parts of the script too. I went over the script for the chat you provide 5 times and even the custom.php not sure how this is going to work now.

When you put together the blab.php file (step 1) did you include:

If so have you created an access level called blab in the admin panel under access levels?

rexxx

• Confirmed Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 02:18:55 PM »

When you put together the blab.php file (step 1) did you include:

If so have you created an access level called blab in the admin panel under access levels?

Well it would be nice if this was explained to do??? In the instructions say add blab to access levels then check which groups you want to have access. But then programmers just don't get it as everyone is to know all what to do.
Richard

KHDev

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Etano Contributor (Skins & Mods)
    • KH Web Development
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 02:27:57 PM »
Well it would be nice if this was explained to do??? In the instructions say add blab to access levels then check which groups you want to have access. But then programmers just don't get it as everyone is to know all what to do.

It would appear flyer5 overlooked that part.

Obviously it wouldn't be as clear to a new user.

nubbyless

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 09:29:01 AM »
is the chat responsive on mobile site

nubbyless

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 10:24:46 AM »
so i followed the guide using the new version blab8.3 it all seems to work but when i click on chat chat still ask for a login username or password im not sure if this mod intergrates your etano login into the chat login or not or if it is just not working because of the newer version of blab

flyer5

• North East Nudists
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 03:53:21 AM »
Hi
Did you get the integration script as in the installation guide? thats the bit that does away with the login screen.

Cheers
F5