Author Topic: Datemill/Etano Under New Management  (Read 9774 times)

Marble

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Datemill/Etano Under New Management
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 07:59:36 PM »
I like how this forum is becoming more organized. It'll make it easier to locate unread posts. Also, will the forum template change in terms of appearance to somewhat match the datemill.com template?
If you see that I'm logged in forever... it just means I turned the page on my browser and forgot to logout.

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 10:20:16 PM »
Not likely, at least not in the near future. Redesigning a template for a forum can be a rather complex and time consuming endeavor. Also when adding a new template or modifying an existing one can cause issues if you ever want to do a major version update to the forum. I don't have a lot of free time these days and what little free time I do have I'd rather spend on things that would be more beneficial to users such as gradually updating and adding to the Etano documentation.

This last week my main focus has been trying to come up with ways in which to get the spammers under control as it was starting to drive me crazy. It has become a major issue around the web with forums getting slammed with huge numbers of spammers signing up on a daily basis which has forced many to just shut down, so I need to try and get it under control so our forum doesn't meet the same fate. The only real recourse is to button down the hatch and employ some stricter measures which I believe is starting to gradually slow down the number of spammers who are registering on a daily basis.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

Marble

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 10:52:49 PM »
I see. Perhaps there's some info about this at the simple machines forum about spammer control. I'll be glad to poke around in there when I find some free time.
If you see that I'm logged in forever... it just means I turned the page on my browser and forgot to logout.

elna

• Prime Member
    • elclass | free classified ads.
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 11:23:52 AM »
 :) :) :D long time friends, how is everyone doing? I miss all of you. I'm out for a while now. Just trying to upgrade my coding skills. Very soon, I will be back fully.
I am so happy that Mavericks is going to keep the forum active. That's so good, I  very happy. :grin: :grin:
regards
natasha..

HyerGrnd

• ChosenWebHost.com
    • Chosen Web Host
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 07:34:29 PM »
:) :) :D long time friends, how is everyone doing? I miss all of you. I'm out for a while now. Just trying to upgrade my coding skills. Very soon, I will be back fully.
I am so happy that Mavericks is going to keep the forum active. That's so good, I  very happy. :grin: :grin:

I agree, it was a good choice to have Maverick manage the forums. I had originally offered to host it before I even knew anything was in progress about having someone else take it over. I didn't offer to manage it, just to host it, but since Maverick is able to host it as well it has turned out to be a good situation. He has all the capabilities and know how and I am pleased the the project is continuing. I haven't been using the script now in awhile since I have made some changes to my site and network, but I am still interested in the direction etano will take. The sites I was using it on were not getting enough members to make it worthwhile to keep them up. And since I don't have funds to pour into advertising I could not make them grow as bit as I would like. So if etano is developed enough that it has enough features that will bring people through word of mouth I would install it on a site again.
Host with the best http://www.ChosenWebHost.com We operate out of a world class data center.

onlineservices

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 08:23:16 AM »
I was struggling with same SPAMER issue in 2 of my forum sites where i installed SMF.   Finally I found this MOD of SMF and its working well. If Mr. Maverick shall try this if interested. Mod Link  http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/?mod=1547

One more SMF Mode is there http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1519  But I am not sure whether this is working well or not. Because when i tested this mod the result was so poor.

I was flooded with SPAMERS 20000 and more within 3 days. And i got tired of moderating them. This struggle was happening to me before 2 years. Now i am so safe.

Thank U

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 09:42:37 AM »
The spammers issue is totally under control, no spam or spammers have been getting through for many months.

The spam bots were completely stopped from signing up by implementing a handful of random questions. As an added safety measure and to stop real people who sign up from spamming the forums, posts made by new members must be approved by a moderator until they have proved they're making legit posts.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

HyerGrnd

• ChosenWebHost.com
    • Chosen Web Host
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 05:41:11 PM »
The spammers issue is totally under control, no spam or spammers have been getting through for many months.

The spam bots were completely stopped from signing up by implementing a handful of random questions. As an added safety measure and to stop real people who sign up from spamming the forums, posts made by new members must be approved by a moderator until they have proved they're making legit posts.

Excellent!
Host with the best http://www.ChosenWebHost.com We operate out of a world class data center.

JohnHarperJr

• SocialGratis.com
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 08:06:38 PM »
Been gone for a while. Happy with the changes. I had to close my dating site a year ago, but I restarted. I've since noticed that some company has bought my old domain and has it listed at $1100 LOL

It wasn't the domain that made it special and popular, it was the admin!

elna

• Prime Member
    • elclass | free classified ads.
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 06:39:00 PM »
Been gone for a while. Happy with the changes. I had to close my dating site a year ago, but I restarted. I've since noticed that some company has bought my old domain and has it listed at $1100 LOL

It wasn't the domain that made it special and popular, it was the admin!
:x sorry for that.
regards
natasha..