Author Topic: Dice Captcha  (Read 13160 times)

smiley

Re: Dice Captcha
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2013, 01:08:55 PM »
I got one question tho. How do you set up etano to make users seek an upgrade on a completely free site? Cos i run an adult dating site and don't have any payment system integrated yet cos its a completely free site.

smiley

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2013, 01:11:31 PM »
Do mobile devices record an ip address in etano?

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2013, 04:45:57 PM »
How do you set up etano to make users seek an upgrade on a completely free site?
The easiest way is just to add some instructions on the home.html page, along with a link to your contact form, something like this:
====================================
Free Premium Membership Upgrade
Premium members have full access which allows posting comments on the site and sending messages to other members. This allows us to screen each new member to reduce the instances of scammers or spammers of having full access.
<br />
<a class="content-link simple" href="{tplvars.relative_url}contact.php" title="Contact">Click Here to submit an upgrade request</a>
===================================
While they're logged in the system will automatically include their username ID in the submitted contact form so you'll know which member is requesting the upgrade.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

smiley

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2013, 05:55:06 PM »
Ok great, thanks for this.

Marble

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2013, 01:59:32 AM »
I am only using the dice captcha at registration, not with messaging. So far, this hasn't turned new members away and the pace of enrollment really hasn't changed much. What has changed though is that there are more real members joining. There are way fewer unactivated memberships an more women are joining the site than previously.

I may review the way membership upgrades are handled, since the site is free. But right now, I'm gradually doing one step at a time. I've experimented with the concept of "free for women", but this just opens the door to spammers. It's certainly a generous idea, although I don't recommend it. I haven't charged a fee on my site just yet, because I want a certain number of members before I reach that step.
If you see that I'm logged in forever... it just means I turned the page on my browser and forgot to logout.

Marble

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 10:35:34 AM »
I discovered a problem with this Dice Captcha. It seems to bypass processors/join.php file. I don't like this aspect since I had a certain customization in that file. So, I am wondering if this is intentional or is there a way to include this php file somehow?

Also, I have this one privacy concern. Dice Captcha creates a file on the root directory called ip1.html. It contains a public list of all the ip addresses of those who have used the dice captcha on the site. I don't see a purpose behind this and I just don't like it.
If you see that I'm logged in forever... it just means I turned the page on my browser and forgot to logout.

Nash77

• Prime Member
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2013, 11:16:44 AM »
Hello sorry I have been busy trying to design am app for my site.

To clarify it doesn't bypass processor/join.php.

As this is triggered by join.php all what has been added is another page before join.php.

But I will look it to this to double check as I can only say what mine does.

Marble

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 11:56:23 AM »
ok. Thanks. You see, I have this code in my processors/join.php file and it's not functioning at all. It was working prior to the installation of the dice captcha.

Code: [Select]
//--------------------------------------------------------------------
// Is the Account Female? Update to PAID if it is :)
$query = mysql_query("SELECT f1 FROM dsb_user_profiles WHERE fk_user_id = '".$_SESSION[_LICENSE_KEY_]['user']['reg_id']."' LIMIT 1") or die(mysql_error());
$row = mysql_fetch_array($query);
if ($row['f1'] =='2') {
      $query = mysql_query("UPDATE dsb_user_accounts SET membership = '4' WHERE user_id = '".$_SESSION[_LICENSE_KEY_]['user']['reg_id']."' LIMIT 1") or die(mysql_error());
}
// change the membership level according to the paid level found in database
this code was discussed at this forum location: http://forum.datemill.com/general/free-female-members-2883.msg14354.html#msg14354

As an additional testing, I decided to test out Subscriptions and added an Auto Subscription set to All, since we have collectively proven that this part of auto subscriptions does work. With that in mind, I decided to see if this was being effected by the Dice Captcha and I have concluded that it is not affected at all. So, this part of auto subscriptions does indeed work with this captcha. It's just not working with the above code

I'm still curious though. Why does this script need to generate an html file in the root directory that contains all of the IP addresses collected while using Dice Captcha? I see this as a major privacy issue if generated within the root directory. I decided to change the location of this file to be created within my password protected admin directory and it generated errors because it can't be placed inside a password protected directory. I can certainly see this file growing to enormous proportions in the future. I'm just really curious to know what it's purpose is and whether or not the process can be removed from the join.php file somehow.

My current error-free solution to the ip1.html problem is to simply not allow the process to record the data into the file. The code at the bottom of join.php (around line 125) now looks like this:
Code: [Select]
$ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
$file = "ip1.html"; //Select file
$file = fopen($file, "a"); //Appened file
//$data = "<b>IP</b>: $ip<br>";
//fwrite($file, $data); //Write data to file
fclose($file); //Close the file

So, the only problem remaining is the one where the code for giving women a free paid account is not processing.