Author Topic: Dice Captcha  (Read 12659 times)

Nash77

• Prime Member
Re: Dice Captcha
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 01:44:38 PM »
Is this on your local server or live site??

If it is your live site or local you can turn the errors off on the page by putting this at the top of join.php after <?php

Code: [Select]
error_reporting(0);

smiley

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 02:01:53 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmm. The join.php form is not working properly.

smiley

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 04:00:37 PM »
I've managed to get the captcha to finally work to an extent except that the form goes back to the captcha join1.php after clicking save on join.php. Any suggestions?

Marble

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 07:19:35 PM »
I had an interesting thought and I'm curious to hear what everyone's opinions are about it. I have seen spam on my site and noticed that the bots send it out through random minutes (sometimes 2 a minute and sometimes 6 per minute). I have recently set the rate limiter to 2 in one minute. But now I'm thinking maybe adding a captcha to message sending might help instead of using the rate limiter.

Would Dice Captcha work with message_send? If it does work, do you think it's a good idea?

edit:
I just found this page on a similar topic and I'm going to try password protecting my admin directory, wait and then see if that solves the issue:
http://forum.datemill.com/general/captcha-help-2749.msg12004.html#msg12004
If you see that I'm logged in forever... it just means I turned the page on my browser and forgot to logout.

smiley

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 08:13:33 AM »
Ok great, thanks for this Marble.

Marble

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 06:50:44 PM »
Thanks Nash77 for your time and hard work at setting up the Dice Captcha for Etano. I downloaded your zip file, and then installed this onto my site, error-free.

Thanks again. You and the other developers in the datemill forum are greatly appreciated.  :)
If you see that I'm logged in forever... it just means I turned the page on my browser and forgot to logout.

Marble

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 02:21:18 PM »
I just saw this error at the top of my registration page:
Warning: ini_set() [function.ini-set]: A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time in /home/acct/public_html/mysite.com/includes/common.inc.php on line 18

This is what is on line 18:
ini_set('session.use_trans_sid',0);

I don't know if that's going to be a problem or not. In the meantime, I've added this to the top of the join.php file to make the error invisible for now.
error_reporting(0);

smiley

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »
Am getting the same thing with dice captcha. Are you managing to get it acually working ie. users registering on your site Marble?

Marble

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 04:39:01 PM »
Am getting the same thing with dice captcha. Are you managing to get it acually working ie. users registering on your site Marble?

Yes, they're registering. Of course, now that I've zapped the bots from joining, my site no longer appears to be as popular as it was. LOL much fewer people are joining now. Probably because they're real. :)

smiley

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 04:58:41 PM »
How did you get it working? My simply goes back to the dice captcha after click on page 1 of the reg form.

Marble

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 06:21:32 PM »
hmm I managed to get your problem to work on my offline development environment. the dice captcha returned when I had multiple registration pages. So, in my live site I set up all the important fields to point at page 1 and made sure that no other field was pointing at additional registration pages.
Did you set up your profile fields to use only one registration page? (eg. page 1).

Also, I used the files contained within this zip file when I did the installation
http://www.pc-support247.co.uk/dice-etano.zip

smiley

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 09:07:32 PM »
Ok thanks, ill take a look at it again and let u know how i got on.

AF

• Prime Member
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2013, 04:47:08 AM »
I had an interesting thought and I'm curious to hear what everyone's opinions are about it. I have seen spam on my site and noticed that the bots send it out through random minutes (sometimes 2 a minute and sometimes 6 per minute). I have recently set the rate limiter to 2 in one minute. But now I'm thinking maybe adding a captcha to message sending might help instead of using the rate limiter.

Would Dice Captcha work with message_send? If it does work, do you think it's a good idea?

edit:
I just found this page on a similar topic and I'm going to try password protecting my admin directory, wait and then see if that solves the issue:
http://forum.datemill.com/general/captcha-help-2749.msg12004.html#msg12004

Marble..its a bad idea dude. That will just annoy members and discourage people from communicating..making your site less appealing. Dont do it.

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2013, 12:05:36 PM »
I have to agree with "AF", adding more captchas throughout the site to all the comments and blog posts will annoy users. Using captchas that are tougher to interpret can also annoy users. These days many experienced webmasters hate captchas because they're nothing more than an annoyance and have limited effect with modern spam bots that have the ability to bypass many captchas. IMO alternative captcha methods isn't the answer, some may be more effective but often at the cost of annoying users from even wanting to register.

I've been running several different types of sites using the Etano script, some for as long as 7 years and don't have issues with spam bots. And some of them I don't use any captchas at all. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe it could be how I have my sites setup.

I've been seeing a lot of posts lately with people having problems with spammers and spam bots, and some are bewildered as to why this is happening. It's usually because your site is too wide open where you're almost providing an open invitation to spammers. For years people have posted in the forums about having issues with spammers and the following has always been my recommendations:

1. Don't allow "non-members" access to view pages that have comments or posts, such as blogs, profiles, profile photos, etc. If spam bots can view these pages it tempts them to try and figure out how to spam those pages. Ever notice when visiting some of the top dating sites like match.com that you can't view anything without signing up?

2. Don't allow new members with a "basic" membership to make posts anywhere on the site, or send messages to other members. If you want you could try using the rate limiter and allow new members with a "basic" membership to send only one messages per day, but don't allow them to make posts or you're just asking for troubles. Allow only paid members to have full access to all features and make posts. If you're running a totally free site, make new users request an upgrade for full access to all features. You can also make a photo part of the upgrade requirement. Spammers, even human spammers will rarely ever request an upgrade, because it takes up too much of their time, they can't read English very well and don't understand that they need to upgrade, and they know they'll likely get rejected anyway.

3. Block the IP ranges of known spammers, these days most are from China.
Refer to these posts:
http://forum.datemill.com/general/lots-these-3475.msg15588.html#msg15588
http://forum.datemill.com/general/lots-these-3475.msg15739.html#msg15739

4. Use the rate limiter feature to prevent brute force login attempts from bots by limiting the number of times they can try logging in.

For example:
Membership      Allowed to       Times         Punishment
Non Member            login   10 in 10 mins Sorry page

I personally won't get involved in developing or providing support for any captcha methods, because I hate captchas and don't feel they're the most effective way to deal with both spam bots and human spammers. The best way I've found in dealing with them is to "button-down-the-hatch" and limit what bots and potential spammers have access to.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

smiley

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 12:49:15 PM »
Many thanks for this Maverick..