Author Topic: site news cannot be deleted!  (Read 3661 times)

solom

site news cannot be deleted!
« on: February 20, 2011, 02:35:03 PM »
Greetings

I have deleted the only site news entry that I've ever made. But it is still there under each member's home page.
I've even tried to delete it from the DB, but the table site_news is empty.

Any hints please?

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
Re: site news cannot be deleted!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 04:52:29 PM »
Try changing the permissions of your rss folder to 777

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

solom

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:14:07 PM »
I did as you said. Then, the old news entry was still showing in members' home pages.
So, I added a new news entry, and it replaced the old one. But when I tried next to delete it, it still wouldn't go from the home pages!

btw, after deleting a news entry, I get this error message:
it were not defined any RSS channel items
In short, I can only replace an entry with another, but I cannot make the news in all go away.

Is that how Etano works? or is there something wrong in my case only?

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:13:31 PM »
When you create a news entry in the admin, does a "site_news.xml" document get added to the "rss" folder?

If not then you need to make sure the rss folder has the correct permissions that will allow you to read, write, execute, etc.

Mine works fine with the default setting of 755, if it's not working some server hosts may require full access of 777, however some hosts don't allow 777. The bottom line is, if the "site_news.xml" document isn't being created you need to find out possibly even from your host as to what permissions are required for a folder and it's files that will give you the permissions needed.

DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

solom

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:32:32 AM »
Yes, the rss file gets created with the first news entry, and new news entries get added to the file too. Deleting all entries is reflected in the rss file, except the last one left. It doesn't go away.
I had to delete the rss file itself, and the problem was gone. Finally, no more news showing in home pages!

Thanks maverick for your help.

Johnboy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 07:28:57 PM »
YES I just had the same problem, and it has never happened before. Dunno why it suddenly does it now. Yea the only way I could get rid of it was by deleting the site_news.xml.
I LOVE these forums!!! So helpful...

Marble

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 05:24:01 PM »
I've discovered this problem as well. The default permission on my file was 644, not 755. I changed the permissions to 755 and 777 using FileZilla. This didn't make any changes. I wonder if there's a way to dig around to force this to work the way it's supposed to. I'm glad that 1 solution is to delete the xml file. If I find another solution, I'll be sure to mention it here.
If you see that I'm logged in forever... it just means I turned the page on my browser and forgot to logout.

Marble

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 09:40:13 PM »
so, Maverick. are you saying that you're able to delete the first news entry without seeing the error message and seeing it remove from the home page in the Etano site?
If you see that I'm logged in forever... it just means I turned the page on my browser and forgot to logout.

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:24:14 AM »
I can delete any news entry I want, either the first or last entry. However, once the XML news file has been created when writing your very first news entry it will always retain at least one entry. In other words the XML news file can't be blank and contain no data, therefore if you decide you no longer want any news to show on the home page you have to delete the XML news file from the rss folder.

Or if you decide to have a revolving news entry where you just want to always display a single news entry, then you would need to create the new one first then delete the old (or first) one.

I don't know why it works this way or if there's a way to fix it so if you delete all entries the XML file contains no data entries.

Marble

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 01:42:16 PM »
I see, so mine is working correctly. The confusion that I think some people might see is that even though the xml file always leaves a news entry in the code, the admin control panel allows us to delete the last remaining entry and therefore an error appears probably because the Site News settings do not reflect what is in the xml file.

In the home page, I set the widget number to 1 or 2 for revolving news items: <!--widget="site_news_feed(array('total'=>1))"-->

robbi

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 10:51:11 AM »
Hello,

had same issue and solved it like this:

- open: /admin/processors/site_news_delete.php
- find:
Code: [Select]
$topass['message']['type']=MESSAGE_INFO;
$topass['message']['text']='News post deleted.';

- replace with:
Code: [Select]
$topass['message']['type']=MESSAGE_INFO;
$topass['message']['text']='News post deleted.';
unlink(_BASEPATH_.'/rss/site_news.xml');

For me it helps - hopefully for you too.