Author Topic: Link to Report Spammers & Scammers  (Read 3554 times)

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
Link to Report Spammers & Scammers
« on: January 04, 2008, 11:59:51 AM »
I think it would be handy to have a link button in the read message section (read_message.php) that says something like "Report this member" or "Report this as spam" so when a user reads a message and receives or suspects any spam or a scammer they could click this link and the message is forwarded to the admin. This will make it so members would be more likely to report users and also make it easier for the admin to investigate and catch potential scammers.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

keith

• Veteran Member
Re: Link to Report Spammers & Scammers
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 12:59:26 PM »

Good idea

And maybe the clicks from people are stored in the database and the admin can set a trigger value ie. score five, and it flags to the admin
and haults the messages till a moderator or admin reviews it

Keith

admin2

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 03:27:28 PM »
You already have a 'spam' button when you read the message. Currently it only moves the message to the user's spam folder (which is some sort of trash folder) but with future updates this will create some sort of stats - much like Keith said.

haveachat2001

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 05:06:04 PM »
Id like to see a Report/send to admin   feature added as i had 3 scammers on my site last year and they had been there for a month or so till a user reported it,
 the 3 claimed to be female so had free membership and were stuck in Nigeria
hmmmm ,Once i knew what they were upto . DELETE
but anything that would help prompt users would be great

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 06:28:07 PM »
but anything that would help prompt users would be great

Yes this is why I made the suggestion, vast majority of people are lazy and won't bother to take the time to use the contact form to report a user for spamming or other annoyances, but if there's just a simple link right in front them while they are viewing the message, they are more apt to report it.

The spam button there now at this point is rather redundant, it's just like sending it to the trash bin, and if the person happens to delete it, then the evidence is gone.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 08:40:30 PM »
yes, most sites I've been on, have had such a button - where they could report scammers and spammers.  I think such a feature is nearly needed as a default in these modern times.

Indeed in probably the biggest pay site in adult dating (alt dot com) the website insists upon users typing a captcha number below every single message/post that users send to other users.  That is how serious they view the scammer/spammer issue.