Author Topic: Country - Not sure if bug  (Read 2521 times)

Robwuk

Country - Not sure if bug
« on: January 06, 2008, 05:14:56 PM »
Hi there, i have imported a list of towns into the database, with all relevent information as to which state they belong to, and when signing up it all works perfect BUT

When you are logged in to the admin area, and you edit a members profile, when you select the country, state the city list is not updating

the reason im not sure whether its a bug is, i had a list of cities for a particular state, when under the admin it wouldn't update the city list when selecting the relevant state, i then added an addition city it, went back to a persons profile and the list drew up ok.

When using phpmyadmin to add the cities to the list, didnt make any impact on the amount of cities that state had under the etano admin, it would show 0 for the cities, even though they were all there.

Any help on this? I know it may sound a bit confusing

Rob

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
Re: Country - Not sure if bug
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 06:35:08 PM »
Yes your right, city selection doesn't update or appear when trying to edit profiles in the admin. I know it works fine when editing from the members end.

Not sure if it's really a bug or just something that got left out by accident during programming.

In any case Dan reads these forums regularly and will notice this post and see that it's been verified by at least 2 users. I also took the liberty of adding it to the Etano bug tracker system so it will eventually get addressed.

Good catch!

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

Robwuk

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 06:48:59 PM »
the weird thing with this bug or not bug, is i have had it working in the admin area, i'd imported my cities to the database, logged into etano and selected locations, states etc and it come up with 0 for the cities, but when i clicked in cities they was all there (sorry for repeating myself here) so i added a test city and the total cities came to 1 then back in the admin, all the cities appeared for that state, great i thought.
So added all the other states and cities, changed the state values to both the amount that where in each state, logged back in, came up with the information for how many in each state, but no longer worked with editing members anymore, its a weird little bug whatever it is

Thanks for reply, i hope they do sort it, having to impersonate user to change the city

Rob

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 07:04:10 PM »
I may not be experiencing exactly the same issues as you as I didn't migrate from DSB. I'm noticing many that are migrating are having issues that I haven't had to deal with. So the only common denominator I noticed is with the cities not appearing when editing profiles via the admin. This isn't something I noticed before and may never have noticed, since I don't know what city any of my members are from this isn't something I'd normally be editing anyway.

I've imported states and cities for several countries (at least 4) and it's worked fine as far as showing up properly in the location section of the admin and from the member's end for signups and profile editing etc.

Irregardless I'm sure Dan will fix it so the cities appear and updates when editing profiles in the admin as well.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

admin2

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 01:56:02 AM »
Bug or not bug, Etano needs to know that there are cities defined for that state (and states for that country) so if you added cities/states using phpmyadmin make sure you update num_cities and num_states in the parent table (loc_states/loc_countries).
It doesn't actually need to know that there are 4476 cities defined but if num_cities is not 0.

We've made some changes in that area for another issue (the patch is coming this week) so I am not sure if this problem you've reported still applies but we'll see.