Author Topic: Profile field problem  (Read 1870 times)

treehugger

Profile field problem
« on: October 19, 2011, 04:01:39 AM »
I added the option of On Hiatus under (f3) of the profile fields then I saved and regenerated. For some reason about half our members were immediately On Hiatus including me. I'd jumped from Just friendship, Social activities to On Hiatus, Just Friendship.

I removed the field again but am left with a comma showing before Just Friendship on all profiles. It seems to be being caused by a row above Just Friendship in admin - I click to delete and it disappears so I save, regenerate, go back to check and it's there again.

Any idea how I get rid of it please, and also how I can put On Hiatus back without the same problem occurring?

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
Re: Profile field problem
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 09:49:08 AM »
I added the option of On Hiatus under (f3) of the profile fields then I saved and regenerated. For some reason about half our members were immediately On Hiatus including me. I'd jumped from Just friendship, Social activities to On Hiatus, Just Friendship.
This is because you added the selection option "On Hiatus" to the TOP of the list, you can't do that because it changes the numerical order of the listed options and in turn affects the selections users have already made. If a user had only selected "Just Friendship" which was originally the first option, it would get changed to "On Hiatus" because it's now the first option, and those that made multiple selections it would change all those as well because the entire list order is different because there's one more item in the list than before, and because it was added to the TOP it affects the numerical order of the entire list.

If you want to add a new selection item it MUST be added to the BOTTOM of the list so it doesn't affect the numerical order of the existing items in the list.

When originally creating profile fields it's important to plan them out carefully because once the site goes live and members have made selections it's difficult to change them as changes can affect their original choices. In most cases all you can do is add new items to the bottom of a selection options list.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

treehugger

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 10:38:22 AM »
Thanks for that Maverick - Above the list in admin it says:

Accepted values      Add new value    (at the beginning of the list)

so to position it elsewhere would it have to be added in the files rather than through admin?

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 11:01:20 AM »
 Accepted values   Add new value    (at the beginning of the list)

You'd only use this when initially creating and setting up profile fields during the development stage before going live with your site.

Once your site is live and members have made selections then if you want to add a new selection option you'd click the green PLUS sign of the last item in the list, this adds a new value AFTER this one.

I'm not sure if it's possible to change the order of the items once members of already made selections so it doesn't affect the user's original selection choices. At least I don't know of any way to do it.

DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

treehugger

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 11:32:18 AM »
What would we do without you? (To which, under your breath, you probably reply 'start thinking for yourself')!

I've added On Hiatus at the end Maverick - any idea how I can get rid of the extra row at the start which shows as a comma please?

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 12:03:15 PM »
I haven't ever come across that issue before and really don't any suggestions. In theory it should just delete and that's the end of it, at least that's the way it works for me.

Maybe try regenerating your skin.

I searched the forums and it appears someone else had this problem back in version 1.17 but no actual fix was posted, Dan only posted that he would look into it. I assume it was maybe fixed in a later version.

http://forum.datemill.com/general/extra-line-select-type-profile-fields-2298.msg9893.html#msg9893

treehugger

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 01:07:41 PM »
OK Maverick, thank you.

Perhaps if Dan sees this thread he'll remember what happened with the link you showed. :D