Author Topic: Package Manager Not working  (Read 2572 times)

sparktronic

Package Manager Not working
« on: December 19, 2007, 04:23:55 PM »
The package manager was working and now its not. Please advise. It is for donortrading.com I have received the new license and have installed it weeks ago.

sparktronic

Re: Package Manager Not working
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 04:29:28 PM »
Never mind, my stupidity. I uploaded and old file.

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 08:12:42 AM »
Package Manager terrifies me.  For anyone who modifies their default Etano script, the use of package manager is gonna be scary.

I am deliberately holding back on applying modifications to the blogs, because of package manager and the regular updates these weeks.

It would be much better IMHO, if the various updated files were available for download..and webmasters could upload the files, via FTP, to their own sites.

admin2

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 09:18:07 AM »
Not using the package manager and copying files instead terrifies me :)
The patching part of the package manager will make changes to files only if none of the files that it needs to change are changed in the parts it needs to change. Whew, what a mouthful.
Otherwise it will tell you that the patch cannot be update because some file is modified.
(A pure php implementation of GNU patch for the technical ones)
The reason for doing this is because a simple copy could overwrite files changed by you or by other patches and this method won't.

We will never make changes to the skins. You will get instructions on what to change if needed and it's your duty to do it.
If you want to get the full file just redownload the latest Etano package and copy the files from there. Winmerge is your friend in this case. But be aware that the patches are also updating the database, something that Winmerge cannot show.

Maverick was one step ahead of you: he changed the files from the start and then asked for explanations (by email) on how to read/understand the update packages and how to apply the patches. I presume he started to enjoy doing this cause I didn't hear any complaint from him ever since :)

I guess we could add the explanation for Maverick to the technical docs for Etano in case there are other DIY hardcore users out there.

admin2

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 09:25:17 AM »
Not to mention that you could pay us to install the updates for you ;)

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 12:33:31 PM »
Since I've rather heavily modded things doing it manually by studying and referencing the DIFF file works great for me. But this method I'd only recommend to advanced users that are familiar with working with code as it does have risks of making mistakes if you aren't careful, you need to take your time and double check your edits as you go along. It's also a bit time consuming depending on how many files require changes. I found it takes an me an average of 1 to 2 hours to do an update, which doesn't bother me as I prefer to know exactly what's getting changed. Not all updates will necessarily require a manual update as long it doesn't effect any mods you have made to core files that may be included in the update. Version 1.07 for example updated automatically for me. If you have made changes or mods to any core files that the updater plans on changing, the updater will let you know and it won't update and you will then have to download the update file and study the DIFF file and then manually make the changes. If you have a decent editor (I use Notepad2) it color highlights the sections in the DIFF file making it fairly easy to follow and understand. For example the yellow highlights tells you what file needs editing, and under that the red highlights are sections of code that gets removed and will have a minus sign in front of it, and green highlights are sections of code that get added and will have a plus sign in front of them. When you copy and paste these sections to the required files, be sure not to include the plus or minus sign as it will probably break your code. And remember to always backup any files you are changing in case it breaks your site you can always re-upload the old ones, and then go back and double check to see where you may have made a mistake in your edits.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

Mervyn

• Web noob :-)
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 01:15:52 PM »
I started to play around with the etano script after I downloaded it and when I saw the package manager I stopped there. I got a little scared that I might stuff up something while updates run so decided to work on theme/images for now.