Poll

Which 3rd party application would you like us to integrate with Etano?

vBulletin
14 (22.2%)
Addonchat
20 (31.7%)
phpbb3
6 (9.5%)
v3 chat
23 (36.5%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: 3rd party apps integration  (Read 41261 times)

admin2

Re: 3rd party apps integration
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 10:31:04 AM »
A forum can take many shapes. The comments on a profile or photo are some sort of forums too.
The facebook wall where you can comment on items (and comments to comments) are forums too.
Yes, "forum" is a last year term. That's why strawberries said "forum/social interactions".
But it means a way for people to share their opinions on something, whatever that may be, and that will never disappear.

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 10:41:25 AM »
personally i never used forum in my life and will never use it!
given your endless questions, how would you ever do without social interaction/forum areas?

plus look at the famous dating and social network websites!

yes, look at facebook (like Dan says) and it's wall feature.  The WALL is a core feature.....indeed, arguably it is THE core feature.  The ability of members to interact is key.

hahaha seems u never seen good dating website in ur life

if YOU know so much, then why does the ? mark key seem to be stuck on your keyboard.

sezar

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 10:44:49 AM »
yea thats true a forum can take many shapes this why it called social network lol but again i meant normal forums like the options u put in POLL , look at facebook, tagged , zorpia , netlog , badoo, zoosk, fubar, cupidbay, jdate,  what else? i can tell u a lot of famous website that dont use it, i think its better to make poll asking people if they want forum in their website and ask them if it better than mods like who viewd me, photo rate , photo battle game, gift shop, blings, secret admires. online marriage, video chat, blah blah blah hthen u can ask them this question if u got a lot of users who want

sezar

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
personally i never used forum in my life and will never use it!
given your endless questions, how would you ever do without social interaction/forum areas?

plus look at the famous dating and social network websites!

yes, look at facebook (like Dan says) and it's wall feature.  The WALL is a core feature.....indeed, arguably it is THE core feature.  The ability of members to interact is key.

hahaha seems u never seen good dating website in ur life

if YOU know so much, then why does the ? mark key seem to be stuck on your keyboard.

im talking about the forum that in POLL facebook wall is not like these ones at all and personally i dont like facebook

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 11:57:19 AM »
im talking about the forum that in POLL facebook wall is not like these ones at all and personally i dont like facebook

whether you or I like facebook or not, is neither here nor there.  Whether we like it or not, every man and his dog are on facebook.  And facebook has raised the bar. 

social/group interaction is fundamental to any dating/social networking site.

a gift shop is not a key component.

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 12:54:15 PM »
The Etano script can be used for a variety of community based of sites, dating is just one use. Plentyofish is the largest free dating site in the world and it has a forum, but big commercial dating sites like match.com or eharmony a forum might not be a good fit.

I've seen gift shops that are very popular on some sites, facebook had a very successful gift shop that made them 10's of millions each year, but they closed it about a year ago which upset a lot facebook users, but I think they wanted to instead focus more on 3rd party apps for revenue.

The bottom line is, mods are a personal choice and some people will want a forum and others won't, as with any mod. It would great if there where lots of mods available that users could pick from that might suit their needs, but the problem is, who's going to create all these mods? Some mods can take months to develop and one person can't work full time developing mods for Etano when there's no money to be made. People's first propriety is in trying to make a living, therefore mods have to be worked on whenever they have some free time.

A good gift shop mod for example isn't something that can be whipped up in a few days, it would be a very time consuming endeavor that could take weeks or months to develop.

Etano was a commercial product that is now an open source project that was generously contributed by Dan who spent years developing it. Now that it's an open source project it relies more on the community and people becoming involved and contributing to the project, and until some good programmers come along who are willing to become involved, it could be a long wait before we see a lot of the mods people would like to have.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

ripcord

• Confirmed Member
    • Designed by Roger
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2011, 03:43:17 PM »
I agree with Maverick here.

I have used most scripts available, both free and commercial, over the years, all have pro's and cons. I have also developed my own where the need wasn't fulfiled by existing apps.

It's really horses for courses. What do you want from your site. It's the first thing I ask a new client. Content management - Joomla, etc.; gift shop - Zen, etc.; blog - Wordpress, etc.; gallery, dating site, chatrooms and so on.

There are loads to choose from, all reasonably good at their intended function.

Etano can't be all things to all people.

I have to tell you, once I got it running, I was blown away by how smooth it is - last dating site I built I had to use eMeeting, if you've ever tried it, you'll know what I mean - a dog.

One of the reasons I was attracted to Etano  was the fact it was open source. I don't mind paying for apps and add-ons (I'm thinking of buying one of Mavericks templates!), but I also don't mind contributing code (I've started on a Western and Chinese Horoscope module), and helping out wherever I can be useful. That's the beauty of open source, Etano will reach a critical mass, then fly. People like Dan and Maverick and a few others are giving a lot right now; I hope I can help too.

So, I'm a *nix freak. Don't get me wrong, Windows and Apple have their place but for app availability (free) and common development, you can't beat Unix/Linux - ok, a bit subjective there!

Thing is, and I guess I'm not alone here, from my experiences elsewhere, the best thing that could happen is that Etano can develop to be a really (more!) excellent product, I mean focus on the core itself, all input going toward an ever improving version. Apps then, either free or commercial, depending on the developer and the user drive but the core must be sweet and solid, t/w documentation, installation and update routine.

Well, that was a bit of a ramble. The last question/wish. Can admin add some sub-forums? Like Installation, Getting started, App development, user submitted code, something like that? Also, could be good right now to get all the installation questions together into a sticky. While I was searching for help, almost all of the internal links I found on Mavericks very helpful posts, were dead - these need sorting.

I am prepared to volunteer time, as and when. I will add any code I write, help out in the forum or I could write an installation guide, or sweep the floor...!

Cheers!

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2011, 07:19:03 PM »
Well, that was a bit of a ramble. The last question/wish. Can admin add some sub-forums? Like Installation, Getting started, App development, user submitted code, something like that? Also, could be good right now to get all the installation questions together into a sticky. While I was searching for help, almost all of the internal links I found on Mavericks very helpful posts, were dead - these need sorting.
I totally agree, there also needs to be a sticky for the minimum requirements for Etano, so many try installing and running Etano on free and $5 hosting plans which will rarely support such a robust script as Etano. Same with cron jobs, these 2 issues are the most common problems people have and it gets frustrating responding to basically the same issues of inadequate server hosting and cron support over and over. I often have to go searching myself for the answers and then provide the links to threads that have the answers they seek.

The forums have been around a long time and have tons of posts, most issues and problems have already been answered at one time or another, and in many cases multiple times, the problem is in having to dig for them.

@ripcord .... Glad to have you aboard willing to help out, even if a little bit, it's much appreciated. I try to help as much as I can but I'm not an expert at everything and sometimes just don't have an answer for people. As the forums continues to grow, it sure relieves some pressure if there's a handful of people willing to share the load in helping even responding to the little things.

I have to tell you, once I got it running, I was blown away by how smooth it is - last dating site I built I had to use eMeeting, if you've ever tried it, you'll know what I mean - a dog.
This is the very reason I've been supporting the Etano project for years, I'm familiar with most of the dating and SN scripts out there, both free and commercial, and most have so many bugs. I've been running Etano sites for years, they just run and run with rarely a hiccup and is always fast. As a core Etano is great, it just lacks some luster and more mods and features. I'm not the greatest PHP programmer in the world, but I've managed to create some decent features here and there. Something like developing a gift shop for example is a bit out of my league, I might eventually be able to create something that robust, but it would take me a long time.

DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

ripcord

• Confirmed Member
    • Designed by Roger
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2011, 08:21:45 PM »

Sounds like we're on the same wavelength Maverick.

I see the installation doc was last updated in 2007. Unless anyone else is volunteering, I'll make a start on that. Is there any kind of format control? Otherwise I'll use wiki markup, it can always be changed. I am out for the last three weeks of August, but I was looking for an Autumn project anyway!

Tonight I was playing around with a generic db field updater, then I got carried away and made the Zodiac update, it reads dob (f3), finds the right sign, and writes back to a new field in the user_profile table, then pops a graphic on the user profile page. Just need to think about where to trigger it from, maybe a check box on the profile page. I might add the Chinese one too. Something for the weekend!

Cheers!

sezar

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2011, 12:36:54 AM »
well guys im just saying my opinion, and would like to hear other people opinions about this :) i used alot of dating scripts like emeeting and dolphin and abledating and elgg and few others, dolphin is cool i was running it and i had over 1000 user in less than 3 months and it has many mods people can choose which mods they like and add them to their website but what i didnt like about it that it has many bugs and they keep updating it and bugs still there and other thing is that they put their ads in media stuff like if u going to record a video comment on users u will see their ad in the screen where u record it and the bugs they have make u take step back, what i liked in etano that i didnt found a real bug in it so far i know its simple but its better to have simple script better than great one with bugs like dolphin, but in etano there few things that need work like meta tags options where admin can put his own meta tag easy and we need a lot of mods so people can choose which mods they like and make thier own dating style website

admin2

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2011, 12:44:28 AM »
Hey, nice to see some enthusiasm around here!
Let me know if you need access to the wiki or elsewhere.
I know for sure that I did a zodiac field once (maybe even for Maverick?)  but I can't find it now.
I will try and create those subforums you requested boss :)

sezar

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2011, 12:48:03 AM »
if u going to put forum it would be better to put it as mod, would be better than putting it as main option in the script, i mean like mod people can install and uninstall it so people who dont like it can leave it

admin2

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2011, 01:06:43 AM »
@sezar, it was never about adding it as a core feature. Mods all the way.

ripcord

• Confirmed Member
    • Designed by Roger
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2011, 04:40:13 AM »

Hi Dan,

Great!

Here are a few that came to mind, maybe too many, obviously you will need to make them fit with your forum concept, perhaps you or someone else has more ideas?

That's it for now!

Cheers!

Announcements
- Find out what's happening

General
- General questions about Etano Community Builder

Installation & Upgrades
- Getting Etano running

How-To and Troubleshooting
- Once it's running

Themes and Templates
- Change the look and feel of Etano

Extensions and Modifications
- Adding functionality to Etano

Your Etano Site
- Showcase your site.

Feature Requests
- Requests and feedback

Code Depo
- Code provided by users and developers

Community Cafe
- Anything and everything.

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2012, 09:14:14 PM »
Pay no attention to any posts by sxzcdsfdsf , he's just spamming the forums.