Poll

Which 3rd party application would you like us to integrate with Etano?

vBulletin
14 (22.2%)
Addonchat
20 (31.7%)
phpbb3
6 (9.5%)
v3 chat
23 (36.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: 3rd party apps integration  (Read 31612 times)

zooki

• Confirmed Member
Re: 3rd party apps integration
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 09:40:05 AM »
I'm glad there's another vote for VB because I had another thought yesterday.  SMF does look good and you can't argue with "free," but there's something much more important than "free" for probably most of us:  the ability to insert advertising banners.  I realized that the forum I probably spend the most time in is loaded with them because the VB software enables them to be placed.  So, if SMF cannot easily accommodate that, it's game over for me if I wanted to include a forum.

hi

Isnt there a way to edit the SMF templates?

I know VB is easy, you just go to admincp, make a Child skin and tinker with it, once you like it, make that the default. Easy. Likewise with new product and mods.

:D

TraderJoe

• Prime Member
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 05:56:44 PM »
As for google adsense.  It is not hard to add adsense to any board.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=50984.15

I like the sound of that, Strawberries - thanks for this link, too.  If ads would not be hard and well suited to SMF, then that sounds good to me for sure.  It would be good to have VB integration as an option, too, but so far this is looking good.  I also noticed the forum you linked to shows how one can jazz up the site a bit and also add avatars.  BTW, just so you know and I don't leave you with an incorrect impression, I'm not really an actual "Joe," but it's certainly ok to keep using that part of my forum nic if you want.  I am a guy, however.  Anyway, thanks for your very helpful and welcomely persuasive info and words about SMF, which as I mentioned already, I only discovered through DM forum to begin with.  That was an interesting discovery in addition to DSB, since I used to think VB was the only quality app around compared to everything else I had used while participating in forums.

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 09:10:44 PM »
Isnt there a way to edit the SMF templates?
there are so many SMF templates around, zooki - made by the thousands in their community forum....and also a few commercial third party organisations.

I put up a personal website a few months back, for me and a few friends - see multitrackers dot com.....click on FORUM, to see what it can look like. I editted an SMF template for a few hours.  The main part of the website is running on a great SMF third party script - tinyportal.  I have been too busy to get back and tweak it....but you'll get the idea of what SMF can be turned into. 

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 09:16:33 PM »
As for google adsense.  It is not hard to add adsense to any board.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=50984.15

I like the sound of that, Strawberries - thanks for this link, too.  If ads would not be hard and well suited to SMF, then that sounds good to me for sure.  It would be good to have VB integration as an option, too, but so far this is looking good.  I also noticed the forum you linked to shows how one can jazz up the site a bit and also add avatars.  BTW, just so you know and I don't leave you with an incorrect impression, I'm not really an actual "Joe," but it's certainly ok to keep using that part of my forum nic if you want.  I am a guy, however.  Anyway, thanks for your very helpful and welcomely persuasive info and words about SMF, which as I mentioned already, I only discovered through DM forum to begin with.  That was an interesting discovery in addition to DSB, since I used to think VB was the only quality app around compared to everything else I had used while participating in forums.
no worries re your handle, 'Joe'.    :D     It's always easiest for me to refer to some part of a nickname when replying.

Welcome re the links. 

VB, PhpBB, etc are all good scripts.  I could happily run with any of the big four.   But I have my own interest in SMF.  I have used it for years, and seen it's power on one of the biggest soccer forums on the web.  It's ease of use, and lack of bandwidth use, are particalarly persuasive factors (for me).

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 09:19:53 PM »
PS - in case anyone is interested....that massive soccer forum which uses SMF, is at:  www dot redandwhitekop dot com/forum/

admin2

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 02:01:41 AM »
Not quite the place for this link but since you discuss about forums here is a comparison between some forums: http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/compare.php

Johnboy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 05:04:20 AM »
Well to me a forum is just a forum, if you can put up a post and people can reply, thats all ya need.
I thought this thread was about voting on which app integration we wanted.
I vote Flashchat 1st
it  makes a site sticky
I LOVE these forums!!! So helpful...

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 06:01:21 AM »
interesting table, Dan.

The two free ones get my vote - SMF and PhpBB.  I know Maverick is a fan of PhpBB.  I quite like it as well (second after SMF). 

I just don't see the value of paying for a forum script, when they are alternatives (and better ones too - imho) available. 

TraderJoe

• Prime Member
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2007, 08:30:42 PM »
Well to me a forum is just a forum, if you can put up a post and people can reply, thats all ya need.

:grin:

Gotta be able able to place those ads, Johnboy.

Everything looks so different here.  Am I in the right forum?  I seem to have gotten lost - must have taken a wrong turn somewhere.

admin2

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 03:06:55 AM »
lol@TraderJoe. Since I am alone around here (everyone else is enjoying their holidays) and there's no much work, I made some changes to the forum but it's the same one, don't worry.

haveachat2001

• Oz swingers Ads
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 04:30:18 PM »
Well i would like to see Userplane integrated as you can kill 2 birds with one stone
have cam chat and upto i think 20 cams for free now ,
If you use  Flashchat its going to cost 250 per month to add 10 cams
and im with strawberries90 SMF is much cleaner and nicer to use
best online dating for sexy adults http://www.ozswingersads.com

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 06:20:08 PM »
It's not so much that I'm a big fan of phpBB, all the big forums mentioned are too much bloat for my liking. The only reason I'm going to use phpBB is because it's free and there's more mods available than other forums script. In particular I integrated an events calendar mod for phpBB which allows users to advertise upcoming events available in their community, such as shows, concerts, fairs, etc.

Also one other reason I chose phpBB, it's the only forums script I know of that you can legally remove the powered by link.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

tpandtp

• Adelaide Playtime
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 08:48:03 PM »
Hi there guys, is there any estimated time frame for the addons scripts? The ones I am interested in mainly is phpBB and flashchat. This is the only thing now holding back my site going fully live and changing over from dsb2.

admin2

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 01:35:12 AM »
We already have phpbb2, we are working now on phpbb3 and flashchat. So I'd say that next week we should have them wrapped up and ready to go.

Mervyn

• Web noob :-)
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 12:37:35 PM »
don't mean to hijack the post but saw that phpbb3 is now also being catered for.
For the people interested in going to phpbb3 as forum software for etano, have a look at the bug tracker first and see if all the things you'd be looking for in the forum is catered for. There's quite a few bugs reported even though it's been officially released as stable.
http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/tickets.php