Author Topic: Smart develper, looking to relocate...  (Read 10113 times)

admin2

Smart develper, looking to relocate...
« on: May 26, 2008, 07:54:34 AM »
Smart web developer, have my own business (datemill), looking for a highly paid position in a sunny place.

Romania is known to be the country of internet fraudsters but I thought that this will never happen to me...
I just discovered on friday that I had my card cloned and all money taken from it. By whom? Happy romanian thieves who are now enjoying their extasy pills or weeds on my account.
I am so angry about this that I feel like moving away from this country. I'll return in 100 years when people will get more civilized.
And instead making this easy, the police is sending me from place to place and from office to office because they're too lazy to do anything.
So I am sorry but for a couple more days I'll be mostly unavailable, trying to solve this mess.

jjay

• Confirmed Member
Re: Smart develper, looking to relocate...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 01:46:57 PM »
Dan,

It's very sad to hear about your unfortunate mess... It sounds complicated and frustrating...There are so many brilliant computer minds in Romania yet many choose to use them to do bad things? However if you do stay in your country.. You'll be a bright example of doing good and of entrepreneurial successes! Maybe you need to Just pay everything in cash :o Meanwhile I've heard the US has relaxed requirements and increased quotas for foreign visas for someone with your expertise.. Good Luck to you...

-Jay

TraderJoe

• Prime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 03:01:59 PM »
That's terrible and I'm sorry to hear about it, Dan.  Things are very different here about that sort of thing.  In the US you are not liable for fraudulent charges, and take care of them with just a phone call, or sometimes a form letter.  Also, bank accounts are insured for up to $100,000 in case someone steals your account or writes a phony check or something like that.  Of course, they do investigate, but that's not your burden.

People with knowledge and skills like yours are certainly very desired here in the US, so that would be really cool if you relocated here.  If you know other programming languages and systems, too, all the better.  You can check out http://dice.com/ to get an idea.  Have you seen this, too:  http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html.

Of course, the downside for us would be that you would have to charge more for custom work, but on the other hand your business might do better here anyway in terms of sales alone, so it might be profitable to focus more on sales and add more standard features.

I hope your trouble gets straightened out, and it would be great to hear if you and your family move to the US.  I know a doctor here from Romania in fact, and he seems very happy and has done quite well.

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 05:53:07 AM »
Dan, I am so sorry to hear of your troubles.  I hope you get to the bottom of it. 

I'd once have encouraged you to relocate to the UK or Ireland.  But we've had Labour in power for 11 years and the place is ruined.....and extremely high cost of living.

The world is an awful place these times.  And electronics makes it so much easier for such people.

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Etano Templates
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:27:30 PM »
Damn I hate to hear about crap like this, especially when it's a honest hard working person like yourself.

Just last week I seen on the news where they caught and arrested about 40 internet fraudsters involved in credit card and identity theft and most were Romanian. It was a coloration between Canada, US and Interpol. It's too bad because these assholes often make it difficult for the honest Romanian people who then have to work even extra hard to gain and build trust with foreign customers. But you should be ok there Dan, you've been around a long time and have more than established yourself as someone that's honest and trustworthy, if any new visitors have any doubts just search this forum, many of us have been long time supporters of Dan's work.

As far as immigrating to the US, that's not quite as easy as many make it sound. You could probably get a working Visa, but you would need a US company to sponsor you. When it comes to getting permanent residency status (green card) that's even harder, about the only way is if one of your parents is a US citizen or you marry a US citizen. I immigrated to the US from Canada 10 years ago and my mother is a US citizen and it was still a pain in the arse drawn-out process.

Anyway, hope you get it resolved ok, and they catch the bastards and lock 'em up and throw away the key.
Etano Templates and Mods - Zodiac Sign Compatibility System
Issues & Fixes - Cron Job Tutorial - and more
http://www.maverickwebworks.com

admin2

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 02:47:04 AM »
I'm not really, really looking to relocate though I'm thinking about it. Hopefully the bank will return the money and everything will be ok.
Moving away from here will not be easy for the business - start a new company, new employees, new house, price of living until the business starts rolling...not sure my savings will be enough for this.

sallyb

• Prime Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 01:36:02 AM »
Hi Dan

I am so sorry to hear this has happened to you and I really hope it gets sorted out quickly.

Relocating is very difficult and there are few countries where programmers are trusted, you have built your reputation on your customer service and I would stick with that, you have done so well so far. To move to the US or UK you would have to charge so much more and would then be a small fish in a very big pond of programmers. Just make sure you have an excellent testimonials page and I would be happy to receive emails from optential customers that want to check on my testimonial for your business.

Sal

admin2

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 04:04:26 AM »
Update: I got half of the amount back till now, hopefully I will get some more. But I will have to wait up to 120 more days, that's what mastercard says.

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 04:07:18 AM »
good to hear you have started to receive some of your money back.

It's always a start.

Johnboy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 05:53:16 AM »
YEA GREAT NEWS Dan..... Looks like you wil get it all back EVENTUALLY, way better than never.
I LOVE these forums!!! So helpful...

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 05:54:55 AM »
since you didn't do anything wrong Dan, does mastercard pay back the money with lots of excessive interest added on.

:D

Johnboy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 05:56:52 AM »
Hahahaha your kidding aren't you strawbs. They will call it security precautions or something along those lines.

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 05:59:30 AM »
 :D

it would only be fair, John.

hee hee

Johnboy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 06:02:54 AM »
There's FAIR which I'm all for, BUT unfortunately, there is also REALITY.  :'(

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 06:05:49 AM »
true.

there is one law for big corporations, and another set of rules for customers.  :(

rule of thumb, when there is screwing to be done, the customer is always on the end of it.