Author Topic: Last Viewed module  (Read 4291 times)

keith

• Veteran Member
    • MatchMeUK - Free Dating
Last Viewed module
« on: December 28, 2007, 05:42:56 PM »
Will a module be created for "Last viewed" like DSB version but only to show 1 instance per client

Keith

Johnboy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Last Viewed module
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 10:09:14 PM »
What I would like is so PAID members can see who has been viewing their profile and FREE members can't. This would encourage people to pay, as they would then be able to click on FREE members profiles without the free member knowing. I know for a fact, some members will not click on a profile if they know that member knows they have been viewed by that member.
I LOVE these forums!!! So helpful...

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 11:21:09 AM »
Great idea.  I know of one massive dating site that has the feature you've explained John i.e. freebies can't see who has been viewing their profile - while paid up members can.

Yes, females seemingly often won't view another person's profile, for fear of showing an interest (and the other person being aware that they have been viewed).  I never could figure that out.  I view profiles of interest and to hell with the consequences! 

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 11:37:45 PM »
Personally I can't see why anyone really needs to know who's viewed their profile, or why they would even care. I've been a member of sites and was also involved in the development of a site that had this feature and personally I hated it and so did many other members, IMO it's a bit of an invasion of privacy, it's almost like adding a GPS tracking unit to your account that lets other members know what you're up to. Also if you're a dating site that's primarily heterosexual based, it will make most people pretty uneasy about viewing profiles of those that are of the same gender in fear they could be looked upon as possibly being gay, especially if you land up viewing their profile multiple times. The bottom line is I personally won't implement anything that would make even some of my customers uncomfortable using and surfing my site.

This type of feature may beneficial to some types of sites, but careful consideration and caution should be taken on whether to implement a feature like this as it could land up doing your site more harm than good.

Just my two cents worth.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

Johnboy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 05:34:51 AM »
Hey Mav very good points, and you are right, a lot of people would not like that feature, BUT, a lot would like that feature for various reasons, such as, they can see who is possibly interested in them, plus they can let someone know they are possibly interested by viewing their profile. Also, as I said make it a PAID feature and that will encourage people to view profiles and know that no one will know they did. Also my main competition here in New Zealand has that as a PAID feature. So for me in my situation, it is a must have feature.

admin2

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 08:45:10 AM »
So we gotta make it so the admin can choose the access level and also we gotta make it so that members can disable the feature. Or not. And only 1 view per member. Got it. Anything else? :)

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 09:18:22 AM »
 :D

I suppose a cup of tea is out of the question.

Johnboy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 01:50:53 PM »
NO NO No
We don't want it so the member can disable the feature, then I they wouldn't pay. The idea is they pay so no one can tell they have been looking.

keith

• Veteran Member
    • MatchMeUK - Free Dating
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 02:07:42 PM »
can this be another feature for paid mambers like a stealth mode leave no trace

all sounds pritty good to me

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 02:52:05 PM »
NO NO No
We don't want it so the member can disable the feature, then I they wouldn't pay. The idea is they pay so no one can tell they have been looking.
i like it John.

It sounds like you are one of the johnboy's from the new jersey mob.

the scam's idea's pretty simple guys.  We provide some 'security' for our members.  We'll ensure their privacy, if they cut us in for some action.  <said in my new jersey accent>

Johnboy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 03:09:37 PM »
Heheheh Strawberries very good !!! I like it. ....But watch it I know where ya live, and me and da boys may pay you a little visit, unless you give me 25% of the take, as it's our little sca....I mean idea. lol

Anyway Im off out to the country for 24 hrs to play a new years eve gig tonight. I'll hear plenty of songs coming on.

Have a good one everybody and I look forward to a fantastic 2008 for everyone.

Cheers
JB