Poll

Which 3rd party application would you like us to integrate with Etano?

vBulletin
14 (22.2%)
Addonchat
20 (31.7%)
phpbb3
6 (9.5%)
v3 chat
23 (36.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: 3rd party apps integration  (Read 32462 times)

admin2

3rd party apps integration
« on: December 10, 2007, 03:03:17 AM »
If you want Etano integrated with another application, request it here. It could be anything: forums, chats, polls, messengers, etc.
Please, no requests for our own addons here, start a new topic for this.
We'll add new applications to the poll as you request them.

maverick

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • Maverick Webworks
Re: 3rd party apps integration
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 09:35:13 AM »
If you do a integration for phpBB, I'm assuming it will be for phpBB version 2 since there still hasn't been a stable release of version 3 yet, and it will be quite sometime before there's some decent mods for it.

Fusion Responsive Template & Free Mods
http://www.maverickwebworks.com
DO NOT PM me asking for personal help. Post your problem or request in the forums so the entire community can contribute and benefit.

admin2

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 10:28:59 AM »
Yeah, I put phpbb2 in the poll but if someone wants phpbb3 just shout.

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 11:56:40 PM »
SMF  (they are on 1.1.4 version now)

http://www.simplemachines.org/

admin2

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 02:07:24 AM »
Right, SMF 1 added

TraderJoe

• Prime Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 02:20:37 AM »
Hi, everyone - hope you all are well.  I probably wouldn't even want to have to moderate a forum anyway, but I like vBulletin so much that I had to log in and vote for it.  It's the best forum software I have ever seen.  :)  I must admit, though, that this SMF is also quite good.  This DM forum was my first discovery of SMF, and frankly I was pleasantly surprised because I had never seen anything that even compared within a hundred miles of VB until then.  In fact, I think I like SMF for here better than I would like VB - more of a simple cozy atmosphere, really.

P.S. It was Maverick who first persuaded me in the blog:  AddonChat looks like it may be the best of all time, or at least one of the best.  Yes, I vote for that, too, unless I come across one that seems better if possible.

admin2

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 03:07:25 AM »
We made an addonchat integration addon for DSB for a customer. I remember it was easy to integrate so we should have no problem with it for Etano.

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 03:19:32 AM »
reminds me - is the Instant Messenger far from being complete, Dan?

Joe - SMF is the best that I have found across all my research (there only are three or four top forum script candidates).  Indeed on a massive forum that I have used for years (a soccer club forum) it is extremely impressive.  They have many thousands of members, and often one sees a thousand or more people on at one time. 

Many other forums scripts are resource hungry.  SMF is superb on that score.  It is free and has a large community.  The basic default template probably puts many people off.  But if you look at some of the excellent templates available, they transform the script, looks wise, into something beautiful.  I use SMF on a site of mine. 

admin2

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 03:30:30 AM »
reminds me - is the Instant Messenger far from being complete, Dan?

It is, unfortunately. We had to stop development on it for a while. First due to the lack of time until things settle down with migrations from  DSB and infancy problems with Etano and second we are waiting for a certain 3rd party library to get out of beta so we can use it.

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 03:34:57 AM »
we are waiting for a certain 3rd party library to get out of beta so we can use it.
sounds like it will be well worth the wait.

No hurries here.  I'm still busy setting up my links section, and doing a lot of promotional work (youtube, myspace pages, etc).

TraderJoe

• Prime Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 05:45:51 PM »
We made an addonchat integration addon for DSB for a customer. I remember it was easy to integrate so we should have no problem with it for Etano.

Excellent news, Dan!

Joe - SMF is the best that I have found across all my research (there only are three or four top forum script candidates).  Indeed on a massive forum that I have used for years (a soccer club forum) it is extremely impressive.  They have many thousands of members, and often one sees a thousand or more people on at one time. 

Many other forums scripts are resource hungry.  SMF is superb on that score.  It is free and has a large community.  The basic default template probably puts many people off.  But if you look at some of the excellent templates available, they transform the script, looks wise, into something beautiful.  I use SMF on a site of mine. 

This is interesting news, Strawberries.  You guys know more about this than me, and I could never have imagined anything being within a mile of VB.  Didn't even know SMF was free (nice!), and you're really talking when it comes to being able to jazz up the template.  I guess I'm just used to those super colorful, graphic intensive VB forums that look like nothing can come close.  Also, I was thinking that with Etano, customers would most definitely want at least to be able to add their photo or an avatar.

Everything here is sounding great.

admin2

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 01:59:41 AM »
You can put avatars in most forums. Even here, in smf.
In other news phpBB 3.0 final version has just been released.

zooki

• Confirmed Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 02:25:47 PM »
Hello,

sorry to SMF fans, but im a VB man. I have VB for all my forums simply due to it being technologically heads and shoulders above the rest. It is feature packed (things that bring members back) and always a lot of good and useful mods available. (things such as anti-spam, various PM and emailing mods, and various other things that make the site easier to manage)

I am willing to give SMF a go too :) but, im so used to vb

TraderJoe

• Prime Member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 05:09:07 PM »
I'm glad there's another vote for VB because I had another thought yesterday.  SMF does look good and you can't argue with "free," but there's something much more important than "free" for probably most of us:  the ability to insert advertising banners.  I realized that the forum I probably spend the most time in is loaded with them because the VB software enables them to be placed.  So, if SMF cannot easily accommodate that, it's game over for me if I wanted to include a forum.

strawberries90

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 10:55:21 PM »
apologies, only getting back to the thread now.

Big four boards discussed here:  http://forum.datemill.com/index.php/topic,1795.0.html

Joe, it isn't a case of merely being free.  That is the least of my concerns. I like SMF for ease of use; lack of bandwidth resource usuage, big community of support,  looks, and I have used it for years on a massive soccer forum which I take part in.  I also installed it on a music website of mine (small friend based site) earlier this year.

As for google adsense.  It is not hard to add adsense to any board.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=50984.15

Just to make clear, I like VB too.  Heck, all the four big boards are good.