Author Topic: Migration Script  (Read 13360 times)

keith

• Veteran Member
    • MatchMeUK - Free Dating
Re: Migration Script
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2007, 12:34:25 PM »
I cant migrate from using the dsb to etano script using my database of clients over 4,000, I have two licenses for DSB and tempory licenses for the new etano script

I cant show the real names, only nicknames on profiles and blogs etc.. this was stated at time of sign ups and taking and storing personal information , as many of my clients have filled in there reall names on sign up, for billing purposes, but their nicknames are more anonymously, so they cant be identified, if I break this agreement, well its illegal issue in the UK

Even my profile on my site is a nick name and do not wish for my reall name to be released on the site

In the UK this could cause a legal issue, and I can not afford to take this risk, so at the moment the script is only good for people starting from scratch and not to migrate too

marcia

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2007, 03:43:20 PM »
Thanks Dan...

However, I am not advocating only for myself.  This needs to be made available to ALL current owners of the script.  So far you have 2 people with with a total of 4 licenses that have the same issue...
Marcia

Johnboy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2007, 04:27:15 PM »
There is also the point, that current users (site members) would have no idea who they knew on the site anymore, as they wouldn't recognize the names.
I LOVE these forums!!! So helpful...

admin2

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2007, 04:44:32 PM »
Keith,

I think that you confuse things. Nobody talks here about real names. We are talking about username and screen name.
The username is used in DSB for login only. You enter the username and password to login. It is unique across the site and it certainly is not the real name of the member.
The screen name is asked in DSB on the first registration page. It's sole purpose is to identify a profile to other members.
For example if my username is abcd123 and my screen name is dragon, I would login with abcd123 but other members would see me as dragon.

In Etano there's no screen name in the way it is in DSB. The username and the screen name are one thing. I login with abcd123 and people would see me as abcd123. But the migration script does import the screen name into the field that has the label "My name is" (probably that's why you thought that we require the name?). If you don't like that label change it to whatever you like, you can do this at anytime. Make it "screen name" or "nickname" or "call sign" but the fact still remains: this field holds the screen name value from DSB.
So in Etano I login with abcd123, people would see me as abcd123 and when clicking to see my full profile they would see that "My name" (or whatever you want to call this field) is dragon.

My personal opinion is that this difference between Etano and DSB would only cause some initial confusion: where is dragon and who is abc123?
With a little understanding from members and some announcements and help from you I am sure this period would pass fast. There are also some tweaks you could do to ease the transition. For example in search results you could make it say:
abc123 (ex dragon)
This is possible with no php changes. The profile page needs changes in the php code though because by default it says that it's abc123's profile and down below it says that "My name is" (or my call sign if you want to name it like that) is dragon.

Now, as I said: if you want to revert to the DSB behavior (login with abcd123 and people see me as dragon) this can be done in Etano too only you need to pay us for some changes in Etano (not in the migration script but in Etano itself). I don't see why you would throw the free offer away for about 1 hour of paid work. Surely having the Etano platform must value more in your eyes than about $15.
Of course, if it doesn't, simply delete all Etano files you have and the licenses will be invalidated in January automatically. You can stay with DSB, we have no problem with that.

The changes we would do in Etano to make it work with the screen name will be available by request to all who need it. But it will be by request and not incorporated into the migration script by default. As marcia said it will probably be some sort of addon. And it will cost about $15.

marcia

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2007, 05:31:23 PM »
Thanks Dan for considering the add-on for everybody. :)
Marcia

Johnboy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2007, 05:57:22 PM »
I am more than likely going to submit a request to want to revert to the DSB behavior (login with abcd123 and people see me as dragon) as it seems a fair enough deal. If I do, will the script still work the same? will all the features still work OK?
I LOVE these forums!!! So helpful...

keith

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2007, 09:21:41 AM »
Admin

I have sent PM

Keith

Mervyn

• Web noob :-)
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2007, 01:02:11 PM »
Dan, when you make the mod to allow for the login and display/nicknames to work the way dsb does at the moment, please do let us know. I'm interested in the mod as well.

admin2

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2007, 02:19:59 PM »
Ok, as I told Keith and others who requested it, we will do it this weekend and then will let you know.

keith

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2007, 10:12:23 AM »
Hi

Any news on this

Merry Xmas to all

Keith

admin2

« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2007, 11:02:35 AM »
It's done. We need to pack it into a package and will send it to you this week.

Mervyn

• Web noob :-)
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2008, 02:56:11 PM »
Hi Dan,

Do you perhaps have any further news on this for the rest of us and the cost for the modification?
Once I get this and the latest conversion scripts will be test it once before before attempting to take it live.

Regards,
Mervyn

admin2

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2008, 04:42:17 PM »
You can request it by email

keith

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2008, 06:40:12 PM »
Hi

I have this migration script, I have a small problem, all my members screen names show fine, but if a new member signs up they fill in their name, but there profile name is not showing on the profile

I have tried signing up and loging in, the top corner say "Hello !"  no name, and when i view myself no name too

Keith